Skip to main content

Tweaking Windows XP to run really fast

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #20869 by durk21
i forgot to mention i also get locked out too even the old school Ctrl + Alt + Delete doesn't work. Not to mention XP will just decide to reboot out of the blue on me for no reason.
More
17 years 2 weeks ago #20888 by Smurf

durk21 wrote: Lucky Bastard lol. Mine crashes Every so often Both core crashes and the blue screen of death [MEMORY] but then I have more HDD space than windows can support at 500GB Since XP can't even support 120 GB so i think the boot sector of my HDD which adds a program to the bios forcing XP to boot may cause occasional conflicts with XP.quote]

Blimey i have not seen the blue screen of death for years now :)

Windows XP NTFS Supports upto 2 terrabytes ? See here

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 2 weeks ago #20903 by durk21

Windows XP NTFS Supports upto 2 terrabytes ? See here

Nope XP can't even support 120 GB without making a modification to the Bios which i had to do. Xp can not on itself support anything over 120 GB.

I know because I had to ask Microsoft and many other vendors including Maxtor and Seagate, and Microsoft themselves. In fact its one of XP's down falls which is widely known here in America we laugh about it.

Now when it was unveiled they bragged about the terabyte thing but, but according to Microsoft; Xp can't support anything above 120 GB.

If it had it would have saved me 3 days of upgrading my bios and installing special boot software from Maxtor to bypass Microsoft.
More
17 years 2 weeks ago #20904 by durk21
i would also like to quote this from your article

The FAT32 file system can support drives up to 2 terabytes in size (in theory)

I would like to point out that I use both Fat32 and NTFS because NTFS is not backwards compatible with FAT32 in all forms.

So in other words some things in FAT32 will not work with NTFS I.E Diskettes formatted with FAT32

But having said that Windows told me that NTFS wont support or format anything above 120 GB.

I would also like to point out my 400GB HDD would not load windows and refused to boot using NTFS.

So I had to get free special software made for this specific problem Made by Maxtor.
More
17 years 2 weeks ago #20905 by Smurf
This is a limitation on your computers BIOS and not a limitation on Windows XP. Some really really old machines (talking when CD's first came out) could only address 512Mb so when the CD's came out a special bootstrap piece of code also had to be loaded in order to address the full size of the CD-Roms. Similar sort of thing really.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 2 weeks ago #20906 by durk21
It's a brand new machine I just got 3 weeks ago. I'm told it's not the bios. I'm told by Microsoft and Maxtor that its infact Windows. My Bios has no problem with HDD's over 300GB as i can go in and configure it for HDD's of that size, it actually gives me an option for it.
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds