Skip to main content

ubuntu or suse

More
15 years 7 months ago #27437 by phospher
Replied by phospher on topic neither
i would recommend you check out gentoo, built from sources.
More
15 years 7 months ago #27454 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: ubuntu or suse
The good old debate of which distro to go with, Ubuntu or Suse (2 of many flavors of Linux)

I have personally dabled in both distros, but I now find it hard to choose one distro.

I have managed to install the Ubuntu 8.04 appliance in VMware to see how it feels. The VM was a piece of cake to drop and run within the virtual machine.
Now SUSE on the other hand, specifically openSUSE I am having problems with when trying to get it full screen. It looks to be a video card driver issue. When I maximize the openSUSE appliance they resolution is 600x800. It looks horrible!!

So, one might say why don't you just install openSUSE 11.0 complete as a virtual machine, rather than a pre-built appliance. OpenSUSE 11.0 under VMware 6.0.4 build-93057 blue screens or won't boot the cd at all. Has anybody had this issue when trying to virtualize openSUSE 11.0?

One issue I thought might be a problem was the VMware tools that needed to be installed. Installing the VMware tools under Windows is easy, you do absolutely nothing but click OK. Under Linux its a bit more complicated, as you have to load or... I can't explain it as I am confused. From what I can see, you have something called Dolphin in openSUSE 11.0 which I believe is a file manager. I can see the VMware tools image mounted under Dolphin but I am not able to run them nor extract them. So, something isn't right here and I'm lost as to what to do next.

I've seen posts on other forums where you have to mount something in Windows prior to running the VMware tools update in Linux. But I think that is preposterous!! I should be able to do everything from within Linux.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
15 years 7 months ago #27465 by jester
am new to linux platform and i am using win2000 and xp .i want to install linux now,is that possible to install it as virtual os ,please help me.
More
15 years 7 months ago #27470 by ZiPPy
Jester installing Linux as a virtual machine is quick and easy. You have two options when it comes to virtualizing an OS. You can either do the full install of the OS yourself, or you can run what is called a virtual appliance(the OS is basically built out and configured and ready to use).
I recommend using a virtual appliance, this will especially be useful since your new to Linux and don't quite know what distro to go with first. You can play around in a few distro's and get a feel from the one you like the most.

Get yourself a copy of VMware Workstation and install that on your computer. Then follow the link below to obtaining a Linux Virtual Appliance. I recommend running Ubuntu as your first flavor of Linux. It is a very easy install, the virtual appliance is quick and painless and the forums of Ubuntu are packed with beginner, intermediate and advanced users.

Good luck!!

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
15 years 7 months ago #27485 by jester
Replied by jester on topic "thanks zippy"
thank you zippy.please provide me a link or give me some web address where i can download the Linux Virtual Appliance
help me
More
15 years 7 months ago #27490 by ZiPPy
www.vmware.com/appliances//

You will need either VMware workstation, Vmware Server, or VMware player to run the appliances.

You can obtain VMware player free of charge on the VMware website.

Enjoy!

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds