Skip to main content

bypassing websense

More
17 years 10 months ago #15329 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: bypassing websense
Out of interest, surfing through a proxy can be dangerous, especially if you surf to places where you reveal your personal information / login credentials. A lot of spammers and other nasty elements run open proxies since they know unsuspecting folk will come surfing through them. I would personally stay away from any .cn and .ru proxy though that's not sufficient since the actual box they're using could be anywhere.

On the flipside, governments and other watchers run open proxies to see what naughty things people are upto. The honeynet project runs an extremely large number of proxies that they hope blackhats will use (not a very good idea IMO since no smartie would ever pick a public proxy).

You could look at Tor (tor.eff.org) which invariably will get round any form of enterprise filtering, unless you work in complete lockdown in which case you'd probably best question whether it's worth the risk to your enterprise anyway.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
17 years 7 months ago #17080 by Zigster
Replied by Zigster on topic Re: bypassing websense
Please help need to get buy websense :(
More
17 years 7 months ago #17086 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: bypassing websense
Hehe, the whole idea of Websense is so you cannot bypass it. The only way you will get this to work is by using an anonymous type proxy that Websense have not yet classified in their database.

The other issue you will have is if your organisation is running the Websense Webcatcher. This will send a list of Uncatagorised website to Websense. The more hits they get the high up the list for checking it goes so it basically gets added into their database quicker. (I have recently passed the Websense Certification cause we run and manage this at work :wink: )

Anyhow, a method that used to work (cannot remember if it still does without testing it) was to use googles translation service. If you enter a website and translate it to english, the traffic is still seen to be coming from google. Again, you will still get some issu with scripts, etc.. as noted in this post earlier.

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 7 months ago #17088 by d_jabsd
Replied by d_jabsd on topic Re: bypassing websense
Mods, can we please get this topic locked?

Websense is put in for a reason. I'm all for helping people with real problems, but helping someone bypass corporate policies should not be entertained in a forum such as this.

IMO, it is no different than helping someone crack into a site. Bypassing websense is cracking your way out of a network. There is the possiblity that a corporation could lose money, industry secrets, etc, by these people.

For those trying to get past websense... If you can't figure out a way to do it yourself, you are SOL. Deal with it. There are tons of things to try, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what to do.

If you are not smart enough to find a way on your own, then you aren't smart enough to do it... period... you won't know how to hide your tracks, you won't take everything into consideration, you will probably lose your job because you will get caught eventually.
More
17 years 7 months ago #17090 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: bypassing websense
Thats an interesting point that i didn't infact think about which i have mixed views on.

On the one hand, would the site admins be happy with this forum being used to discuss hacking techniques ? At the end of the day this forum is for sharing knowledge and asking questions.

On the other hand, security professionals like to keep informed on the latest threats and hacking techniques in order to look at ways they can mitigate againts it in their systems.

Interesting topic of debate i suppose, which only the forum mods can decide on what topics are not allowed on the forum.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds