Skip to main content

Firewall.cx's New Linux Section

More
19 years 4 months ago #6405 by gl0bal
Nice one guys.

Coming from a Windows background I'd be keen to see that "what distribution of Linux?" article to help when you are testing the water as a Linux newbie.

Also it would be nice if an article could cover how you can get Linux and Windows boxes to talk and authenticate and be managed in the same network using a network management service (i.e. Active Directory in the windows world and/or its Linux equivalent).

It would also be refreshing if the articles weren’t a smack down on Windows like some web sites and forums I have seen. Instead it would be useful to have the open minded approach that firewall.cx has already shown in its coverage of other technology. For example although its primarily Cisco orientated for networking technology there is no belittlement of competing vendors equipment which personally makes me proud to be a firewall.cx supporter.

Keep up the good work
More
19 years 4 months ago #6407 by nske

It would also be refreshing if the articles weren’t a smack down on Windows

I agree. The fact that windows is a pathetic, worthless, crappy, buggy, ugly, sluggish, useless excuse for an OS, doesn't mean that they should be bashed in every instance! :lol:
More
19 years 4 months ago #6410 by sahirh
No Windows bashing @ all :)
In fact one of the articles would be on Windows Linux integration...

We play nice

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6411 by Chris
Personally I use Windows as my desktop operating system and if I was to constantly bash it, then I would be a hypocrite :) I think its more of a 'trend' that people constantly criticise the operating system rather than anything else.

For me, Windows is an excellent desktop o/s and in certain areas, a good server, while Linux is quite the opposite - a great server but not the best for a desktop solution and this always depends on what you use your workstation for.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 4 months ago #6414 by sahirh
Windows is great for most home uses.. Linux works great on the desktop if you don't care about doing much word processing.
I run XP at home for most of my regular stuff.

Of course I'm heavily biased to Linux when it comes to networking / security / server tasks.

Ultimately they all have their place -- except macs *ducks as tfs throws a box-packed copy of Observer at him*

Its a matter of choice :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6422 by nske
Windows can behave ok for desktop I guess. Still the procedure of installing windows, installing 666 patches, installing 666 drivers, installing an antivirus, installing one or two anti-spyware tools, seting a firewall, going through the default services setup, maintaining a clean registry and, inevitably, once a while repeat the procedure, and all these just to have a functional PC, feels like a disease. :evil: Linux way works better for me in every aspect.

PS. Anyway, windows should not be bashed. that would be a waste of resources.. ;)
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds