Skip to main content

Firewall.cx's New Linux Section

More
19 years 3 months ago #6197 by sahirh
Hey all,

Alot of you might have heard the buzz about our upcoming GNU/Linux section. The new section will contain tutorials and how-tos covering beginner to advanced topics on my personal favourite operating system.

Since both Linux and Firewall.cx have been built on enthusiasm and spirit from the community, we would like to acknowledge this spirit by giving you f.cx members an element of control over the new section. The idea is to let you choose the topics that you would like to see covered and we will try to cover them.

You can pick anything that deals with Linux, whether its a command-line basics tutorial, a squid proxy server setup, or even just a reflective piece dealing with Linux and the open source philosophy.

A request has already come in to us for a command-line basics tutorial, so we will get cracking on that :). We're also 99% done with the opening article, which we're sure you'll all like as it deals with a very new and exciting technology in Linux.

So go ahead, exercise your right to choose and reply to this post with the kind of topics you want to see.
Rest assured this new section will mark another new milestone for the f.cx community.

Power to the Penguin,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 3 months ago #6198 by nske
I would like to see a guide introducing filesystem encryption in detail ;)

PS. I can not wait to see the new section grow, good work everyone!

Power to the penguin :D

More
19 years 3 months ago #6205 by jhun
just where can you get the "good stuff" but only at Firewall.cx...

this is great news guys...well i would like to see all of everything that sahirh mentioned.. :lol: this i think would help alot of linux newbies like me to better understand and appreciate the open source world. thanks again f.cx team. you're truly one of a kind. :D
More
19 years 3 months ago #6211 by sahirh
Filesystem encryption is now on the list of topics to be covered :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 3 months ago #6216 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Penguin
I'm sure this will be as useful and popular as the Cisco lab. I know we've talked about this before Sahir, but my vote would be for an article along the lines of "How to get familiar with Linux if you don't really know anything about it but are already thoroughly brainwashed into the Windoze way of thinking". It would need to deal with the newbie assumptions, pitfalls, basic issues (like just why you can't expect the OS and your applications to just install out of the box, why you need this and that bit of dependecy etc). What would also be good is a hand-holder to get Linux installed, booting and useful for doing things with. I know there are a lot of Windows-only folks who would love to experience the full power of the force if they could only break free of the dark side...
More
19 years 3 months ago #6218 by cybersorcerer
Well I figure Id throw in my two cents on this. I'd personally like to see some tutorials on kernal modifications and proper device driver installations(basically all my weak points :roll: ).

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds