Skip to main content

Logging into Firewall.cx - Security Code changes

More
19 years 1 month ago #7643 by KiLLaBeE
Cool. I've started learning something new also. I began learning how to skateboard the other day, so far i've fallen off only once. It's pretty fun, I'm still learning how to balance myself on it. Once I learn the basics I'll begin learning how to do tricks and such.

Sorry to interfere with the off-topic discussion :lol:, I was wondering:
1) What is the purose of typing a displayed Security Code when registering or when signing on, I realized that a lot of sites are doing this?

2) After how many days of not logging on will someone's username be shut off?
More
19 years 1 month ago #7649 by Chris
Killabee,

Good luck with the skateboarding!

The security code serves the purpose as an additional security feature to avoid people creating/using login scripts to guess someones password. Since the security code is auto-generated in a gif file that contains other garbage to stop programs from 'reading' its contents, its highly recommended.

We on the other hand felt that it was a bit annoying after a while, so we've disabled this feature since there are other mechanisms in place to ensure we maintain our highest possible level of security.

Regarding the logging off - well, if you do not log off when you leave the site, then after 30 minutes, the site will automatically log you off - you disappear from the 'People Online' bar on the left, but when you revisit the site, you're automatically logged back on!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 1 month ago #7650 by MezzUp

1) What is the purose of typing a displayed Security Code when registering or when signing on, I realized that a lot of sites are doing this?

You mean the small pictures with some letters/numbers on it that you have to write before submitting the form?
It's is used so that one can't write a program to do a mass registration because you always need the human eye to look at the picture and type the word in.
More
19 years 1 month ago #7663 by The_Berzerker
Ahoy mate!
Nice pics chris it must have been fun, I spent the weekend putting together furniture.... :)
Maybe I should begin doing something new....
More
19 years 1 month ago #7675 by sahirh
The fourth picture of the sky looks really cool..... might make a good wallpaper!

I spent the weekend listening to Bob Dylan and playing the guitar.. between large amounts of beer :)

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 1 month ago #7676 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Weekend
I built a step out of old bricks and cement
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds