Skip to main content

Which Browser and Why?

More
15 years 6 months ago #27727 by Jimmy
Replied by Jimmy on topic Re: Which Browser and Why?
Hi Guys,
I have been working on Internet for last 8 years and i have provided technical support to Microsoft WIndows XP user for 3 years. I would perfer IE 6, is the best browser available in the market. Though the had used Firewall, netscape, mozilla and google browser. I found IE most stable browser. Even i had used MIcrosoft IE 7 and 8 Beta version. They made my PC crazy.
More
15 years 6 months ago #27736 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: Which Browser and Why?
Interesting.

How do you go about browsing several sites without tabs? How do you tolerate 15 windows for each site? Or do you use the Yahoo toolbar that allows you to create sudo-tabs?
More
15 years 6 months ago #27738 by TheBishop
To be honest tabbed browsing never came across as a killer app for me. I was effectively doing it anyway by frequent use of the 'open in new window' option which meant i could jump between browser windows with just a mouse click, admittedly in the taskbar and not the browser itself. The only advantage the tabbed browsing actually gives me is being able to start several tabs automatically as a 'homepage' instead of just the one. Byt then again I could have achieved even that with a simple script if I'd really wanted to (which I obviously didn't need badly enough because I didn't). I use tabbed browsing now because it's there, but to be honest I think it has been overblown as a 'the world has been waiting for this through long ages of darkness' feature
More
15 years 6 months ago #27740 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Which Browser and Why?

I use tabbed browsing now because it's there, but to be honest I think it has been overblown as a 'the world has been waiting for this through long ages of darkness' feature

:lol: hehehehhhh. May be thats why I always consider browsing as a matter of personal taste and favor rather than a purely work/notwork technical issue.

Honestly, I'd have to disagree with TheBishop here ;) respecting his opinion off-course. First of, IE tabs are not like Firefox tabs. Things are ok when I open 5 or 10 windows. But more, starts to get confusing specially when it's on the taskbar.

1. When I open 25 or more tabs, IE shrinks the tab headers (to fit them) which limits my ability to see their titles. Firefox puts a small arrow on the right so that you could scroll through them quickly.
2. Tabs order is re-orderable by drag and drop (IE does it too). Task-bar is not.
3. Bookmark tab by right click (not in IE). Task-bar can't.
4. Bookmark ALL tabs by right click (not in IE). Task-bar can't.
5. Bookmark tabs by drag and drop into the bookmarks menu (not in IE). Task-bar can't.
6. Tabs in Firefox open slightly faster.
7. Save tabs on Exit, reopen on restart. Yyya, I love this one.

Over all, I find taskbar to require more clicking here and there.

However, I still truly think IE is a very good browser and I still use it, and the above might not mean any thing to many people. Sleep on the side that you like.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 6 months ago #27759 by TheBishop
All valid points S0lo. I just can't imagine when I'd ever need to have ten tabs (or windows) open simultaneously, let alone 25 or more. I suppose if I was doing some really heavy research I might just open up ten or perhaps fifteen, but most of them would get closed again once I'd used them or discovered they weren't relevant. I rarely have any more than six tabs or windows open, I think 8 has been my all-time record. That's why, for me, the advantages aren't so relevant
More
15 years 6 months ago #27761 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Which Browser and Why?
Ah, that explains TheBishop :). I wish I could always keep it less than ten. The fact is that my work some times requires to dig for best software solutions, which requires 1 or 2 weeks of research. Also, I use my laptop more often than my desktop and I leave it hibernating and come back again frequently. In many cases, I find this quicker than witching off/on. So some tabs accumulate and stay open for 3 or 4 days.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds