Skip to main content

Computer will not power down.

More
16 years 3 months ago #24431 by durk21
bob's your uncle on this one
More
16 years 3 months ago #24444 by ZiPPy
I strongly, strongly, STRONGLY agree with KiLLaBeE! Why does everybody blame an issue with a computer or server on a virus? It seems like thats the number one issue with computers when a problem arises, and its not!

KiLLaBeE's troubleshooting steps are right on point. I think this issue has something to do with a service that is hanging. In the future I recommend looking into each service that is running, and finding out which one you can kill safely. If you search the forums, Sahir posted an excellent post about services that can be turned off. You can also check out www.blackviper.com This is an excellent site that will give you the entire run down on all services running on Windows.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 3 months ago #24465 by skepticals
Thanks for the link.
More
16 years 2 months ago #24917 by Kintar
I hate seeing consecutive posts suggesting check for viruses, Its like a broken record and it annoys me. First of all, unplug the computer to get instant shutdown. Then when windows is starting up press F2 when it says press F2 or F12. Go to Troubleshoot and try that. If it does not work or if you can not format the computer to reinstall factory settings from a disk, then you assume the worst i.e. viruses and such. Most likely its just a glitch or defective software and is nothing to be worried about if you have a warranty..

If life is a garden then I must have a really huge green thumb.
More
15 years 5 days ago #29785 by sterrell
If it's Norton Security Suite, I've had major issues with that.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds