Skip to main content

Computer will not power down.

More
16 years 8 months ago #22673 by skepticals
I have a computer that will not shutdown. Windows XP acts like it will shutdown, the screen turns blue, the mouse and keybaord shutoff, but the mouse pointer is still on the screen and it locks. The mouse is optical; so I can see it shutoff. The other identical computers shutoff at the same time the mouse turns off.

Any ideas what could cause the computer to hang?
More
16 years 8 months ago #22685 by durk21
cookies, spyware, and adware can cause this problem I have had it before. I cleaned the systme using a program and it worked fine afterwards. It can also be your network connection if you are connected to the internet. I use an HPNA adapter and it sometimes causes it to hang up upon shutdown. I have yet to find a fix for this.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22704 by skepticals
I would say that there is a low possibility for spyware. This was a new install. I even have Deep Freeze and Norton Installed on it. It has only been online a few times. I'm not saying that isn't the problem though. I will look into it.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22707 by DaLight

... This was a new install...

Was it a custom build?
More
16 years 8 months ago #22710 by skepticals
No. It is a gateway profile 6. We ordered over 40. This is the only problamatic one.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22714 by durk21
sounds like maybe defective security software. I would uninstall reinstall all security software and any additional programs if you have not already.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds