Skip to main content

Diff between Windows Server DHCP & Cisco Router DHCP ?

More
12 years 10 months ago #37144 by rizin
Thanks Ammar for your reply :)

Well, i see only the advantages if choose the Router as a DHCP. However my only concern is about Work load in the Router.

Do you have any idea about each router model capacity of handling DCHP Users.

Meanwhile i browse the internet and found the following fruitful forums suggestions, please have a look on this:

www.techrepublic.com/article/configure-d...er-or-switch/5690240

www.routergod.com/hanktheangrydrunkendwarf/

The main advantage of Eliminating Windows DHCP is saving enormous amount on Windows Server (Hardware plus Server OS software)

But still if we are sure of knowing handling WORK LOAD capacity of Router configured with DHCP, i would suggest it is better to go for Router DHCP.

Thanks,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 10 months ago #37148 by S0lo

Thanks Ammar for your reply :)

Well, i see only the advantages if choose the Router as a DHCP.

Infact as I stated above, If you use Windows DHCP (or any NONE router DHCP) then your internal network will still receive IPs when the router is down or when it crashes. I think this is a big plus for using Windows DHCP.

However my only concern is about Work load in the Router.

Do you have any idea about each router model capacity of handling DCHP Users.

Not sure, The issue is hardware,IOS and network load specific. I think the best way is to really test it for a while on your network and check the router CPU usage using the show processes cpu and show processes cpu history commands. For the first command, it will show you detailed CPU usage for every process running, check the "DHCPD Receive" process if it's at high CPU usage or not. The second command will give history analysis of overall CPU usage within the recent minute, hour and 72 hours.

Note that these commands output may defer depending on the IOS version you have.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
12 years 10 months ago #37152 by rizin
Thanks again :) Ammar,

I will try my best to test it, however i guess you are not supporting :roll: implementing DHCP on router, otherwise you atleast stress on Router DHCP Feature. I'm i right ?

What if CPU usage is satisfactory, and also have a redundant router in case of Router failure. At this scenario will you support for Router DHCP ? :)

Regards,

Rizin

More
12 years 10 months ago #37156 by S0lo
Your welcome :)

If CPU usage is OK, and you have router redundancy, Then I have nothing against using router DHCP.

And by the way, Many Cisco switches also have DHCP server capabilities.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
12 years 10 months ago #37160 by rizin
Thanks indeed :)

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds