Skip to main content

Diff between Windows Server DHCP & Cisco Router DHCP ?

More
12 years 10 months ago #37118 by rizin
Hi All,

I would like to know what is the difference between and advantages over Windows server DHCP & Router DHCP Configuration.

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 10 months ago #37124 by next_virus
I also have a similar question.

Q) I have 5 vlans in my branch, how can I assign dynamic IP to hosts on different vlans??? ( I am using two routers, 1 for internet and other to communicate between branches).

Thanks
More
12 years 10 months ago #37128 by xNegma
The advantage of setting up DHCP on a server is that you can centralize it and reduce the workload on the router. Thus, you can also manage it easily than on the router.
More
12 years 10 months ago #37129 by xNegma

I also have a similar question.

Q) I have 5 vlans in my branch, how can I assign dynamic IP to hosts on different vlans??? ( I am using two routers, 1 for internet and other to communicate between branches).

Thanks

You need to create the DHCP pool

ip dhcp pool poolname
network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
default-router xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --> subinterfaces e.g. fa0/0.10 ip address ]

in global configuration mode --> ip dhcp excluded-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --> subinterfaces e.g. fa0/0.10 ip address ] --> This command is to reserve the ip from being allocated to the hosts. For example if i want to reserve 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10

i would type ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.10

Beside that, if you configured DHCP on a server, go to the subinterfaces

e.g. fa0/0.10

type ip helper-address <dhcp server ip>
More
12 years 10 months ago #37130 by rizin
I guess i need to rephrase the Question.

1. I understand the DHCP Completely.

2. I need to know the Difference Between Windows DHCP and Router DHCP. Moreover Any advantages between Windows Server DHCP over Router DHCP | Router DHCP over Windows Server DHCP.

4. I agree about the Overload occur in Router, However i need more things to know, which i'm sure few experts here are Very well known.

3. Hope my rephrase words clears and lead to get me the Very specific answer. :)

Thanks,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 9 months ago #37137 by S0lo
I've been only a casual user of Windows Server DHCP. I think it's
easier to use because of the GUI interface, and still not in a lack of
advanced features too. but router DHCP seams to have more options and configurable parameters (although I can't seam to find many of the DHCP Standard Options which windows has, I might be wrong here). Cisco routers also have DHCP monitoring capabilities (using the debug ip dhcp command).

I think reducing router work load by using Windows DHCP Server is surely a good idea. Just put in mind that it's going to show a noticeable deference in terms of router CPU usage ONLY if you have too many hosts in your LAN segment.

Another plus for using none-router DHCP is that if your router crashes for a while, you still have your hosts receiving IPs, at least internal LAN traffic will work.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds