Skip to main content

Diff between Windows Server DHCP & Cisco Router DHCP ?

More
12 years 9 months ago #37118 by rizin
Hi All,

I would like to know what is the difference between and advantages over Windows server DHCP & Router DHCP Configuration.

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 9 months ago #37124 by next_virus
I also have a similar question.

Q) I have 5 vlans in my branch, how can I assign dynamic IP to hosts on different vlans??? ( I am using two routers, 1 for internet and other to communicate between branches).

Thanks
More
12 years 9 months ago #37128 by xNegma
The advantage of setting up DHCP on a server is that you can centralize it and reduce the workload on the router. Thus, you can also manage it easily than on the router.
More
12 years 9 months ago #37129 by xNegma

I also have a similar question.

Q) I have 5 vlans in my branch, how can I assign dynamic IP to hosts on different vlans??? ( I am using two routers, 1 for internet and other to communicate between branches).

Thanks

You need to create the DHCP pool

ip dhcp pool poolname
network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
default-router xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --> subinterfaces e.g. fa0/0.10 ip address ]

in global configuration mode --> ip dhcp excluded-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --> subinterfaces e.g. fa0/0.10 ip address ] --> This command is to reserve the ip from being allocated to the hosts. For example if i want to reserve 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10

i would type ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.10

Beside that, if you configured DHCP on a server, go to the subinterfaces

e.g. fa0/0.10

type ip helper-address <dhcp server ip>
More
12 years 9 months ago #37130 by rizin
I guess i need to rephrase the Question.

1. I understand the DHCP Completely.

2. I need to know the Difference Between Windows DHCP and Router DHCP. Moreover Any advantages between Windows Server DHCP over Router DHCP | Router DHCP over Windows Server DHCP.

4. I agree about the Overload occur in Router, However i need more things to know, which i'm sure few experts here are Very well known.

3. Hope my rephrase words clears and lead to get me the Very specific answer. :)

Thanks,

Rizin

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 9 months ago #37137 by S0lo
I've been only a casual user of Windows Server DHCP. I think it's
easier to use because of the GUI interface, and still not in a lack of
advanced features too. but router DHCP seams to have more options and configurable parameters (although I can't seam to find many of the DHCP Standard Options which windows has, I might be wrong here). Cisco routers also have DHCP monitoring capabilities (using the debug ip dhcp command).

I think reducing router work load by using Windows DHCP Server is surely a good idea. Just put in mind that it's going to show a noticeable deference in terms of router CPU usage ONLY if you have too many hosts in your LAN segment.

Another plus for using none-router DHCP is that if your router crashes for a while, you still have your hosts receiving IPs, at least internal LAN traffic will work.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds