Skip to main content

pc technician who's boss won't explain things to him ..

More
20 years 6 months ago #1239 by Chris
...and that has made all the difference :wink:

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1243 by Raggedy_Hobo
I understand and see how the 5th diagram works .. I'm having a hard time relating it to the setup I have even though it's right there in front of me .. i see how the router in the 5th diagram controls the subnetworks, but shouldn't the single router i have control the subnetworks in my setup since we're all connected to the same switches??

www.angelfire.com/blues2/raggedy_hobo/im.../network_diagram.jpg
(in the diagram .. 10.168.161.114 [NS1] has a mask of 255.255.255.240 so that i can talk to the router provided by our provider .. so, since it's already "partitioned", i'm assuming then that the router they provided should "translate" all of the subnetworks we have .. that seems like alot of looping back and extra traffic though??) it would go like this if this is true: client -> wet 11 -> access point -> switch -> router -> switch -> NS1 -> switch -> router -> internet

I need to find out how the Access Point works .. if it works like a hub/switch (ie, broadcasts) and doesn't care what the gateway/mask is .. but see, what's bothering me about this, in that pm i sent you, i don't know if it shows the DHCP table or not .. but the Access Point is given an IP from NS1's DHCP address pool

either way .. would it not just be simpler to create 1 big pool on NS1 (10.168.161.1 to 10.161.168.255 instead of having it subnetworked) because isn't the relationship between NS1 and the router independant from the relationship between NS1 and the clients??

I think i'm confusing myself .. LOL .. brb, gonna re-read the subnet routing and communications page again

In the beginning ...

I wonder, where will this road lead me

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1245 by Raggedy_Hobo
Mom got me on the phone for my birthday .. mothers are long winded, no matter how old you are .. but ya, I think admin is right .. perhaps a skimming and break is in order ..

The main reason I pushed so hard this weekend to understand this .. my boss will be configuring NS1 tomorrow and i'll be out setting up the HW .. so, I won't get to see how he does it .. plus, once he sets it up .. he'll probably change the password so I can't access it anymore

Either way, thanks for everyone's help.

In the beginning ...

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1246 by tfs
I think something is wrong here (unless I missed something).

I assume that each Scope is supposed to be dealing with a different subnet. Also you stated that the subnet is 255.255.255.240. Let's just deal with the 240. This has only 16 possible hosts. His numbers are incorrect, if this is the case.

They should be

10.168.161.0 - 10.168.161.15
10.168.161.16 - 10.168.161.31
10.168.161.32 - 10.168.161.47 ...

This looks like what he was trying to do and kept adding or leaving out a leading 1.

This may have been confusing you (or maybe I'm confused - wouldn't be the first time).

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1247 by Raggedy_Hobo
i just went into the DHCP to configure a new scope

start IP range was 10.168.161.1
end IP range was 10.168.161.254

it created a superscope with 15 scopes containing 14 usuable IP's in each ..

now my question is ..

if a WET 11 (Wireless Ethernet bridge) which requires an IP is in 1 scope, but, the clients computer is in a different scope .. will the clients computer still connect to the internet??? the answer is no .. and there in lies my problem with creating this superscope ..

i don't know of a way to work around this .. even if a router is installed on the client end .. because the router on the client end has to be in the same subnetwork range as the WET 11 .. but, if there's no available IP's, how can I force it to be .. I can't make it a static route, because there's a chance that eventually, the WET 11's IP will change to a different scope (WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, I make the router use the Network Address for that scope, ie. 10.168.161.0 for scope 1, scope 2 10.168.161.16) .. but that still doesn't fix the fact that it would be a static route .. i need to have everything on the client side to be running DHCP ..

I could use static routes .. but, how/why would anyone use static routes for over 200 computers/WET 11's

the provider is forcing me to use a 240 subnet to communicate with there router/network .. can't i configure 1 single scope containing 1-255 with a 255.255.255.0 mask for the client side ??

i don't see how to resolve the issue .. i'll read the subnet communications page again later tonight .. maybe something in there will spring out at me :D

i dunno .. we'll see in the morning i suppose

In the beginning ...

More
20 years 6 months ago #1248 by tfs
I have been looking at your original diagram just realized something no one has mentioned, and I may be wrong here.

You have a private address here, not a public one. The fact that your ISP gave you the address leads me to think you are on his private network where HE has subnetted his address space using the 255.255.255.240 mask and has given 1 address range to use so you 14 addresses only. I only say this because you said you have no control over this router. We also don't know what the WAN IP address is and we don't know if the router is supporting NAT.

If you look at your outgoing router - its address is 10.168.161.113. We are only concerned with the last octet - 113. The bit pattern here is 1110 0001. I am assuming that you cannot change the first nibble (4 bits), therefore you can only go from 0000 - 1111 on the 2nd nibble (your hosts).

You can subnet this down but only inside the right nibble, which means you would have even less hosts as you would lose IPs each time you subnet, which I assume you don't want to do.

I may be wrong in this, but I just wanted to make sure we are looking at the right situation.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds