Skip to main content

New home network..everything right so far?

More
20 years 7 months ago #695 by GhostCert
I have a question regarding ICS. Is it really necessary? I want to have my setup to be a mini version of what a business network would be like? For a business would the "Primary" server be receiving an Internet connection then using ICS to share that Internet connection with other machines in the network? I am just wondering, because I am trying to make my network as close to a "enterprise" network as possible.

Thanks for the information so far, I have learned alot and look forward to learning more.

-GhostCert
More
20 years 7 months ago #704 by Chris
Hmm... seems like something odd is happening on your network GhostCert.

If I have understood your diagram correctly, your PC1 and Windows2K server are connected to the same switch, which is located on your internal network.

ICS must be enabled in order for PC1 to access the Internet, but isn't required for a simple ping.

So, since you can't even ping the 2nd network card on your Win2k server, you need to start from there.

I'm suspecting a routing problem in this case, so let's check a few things:

1) IP Addressing scheme and subnetmasks.

The Win2k(nic1) & PC1 must be on the same subnet/network, while nic2 of the Win2k should be on another network along with your router.

2) IP Routing

Your Windows 2k IP routing function must be turned on. So you might as me where can I check .... I can't remember at this point, but its gota be somewhere within the TCP/IP network properties of your server. Browse through the TCP/IP settings of your nic's and see if you can locate it.

3) By typing a simple "route print" in a dos prompt on your Win2k server you can see the routing table. From there you can confirm both networks exist in the routing table of your server - this is very important!

Check the above and let us know what the result was!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #736 by sahirh
I just skimmed this post so forgive me if im asking something redundant or something already addressed.. but did you say the PDC (or just DC as win2k would call it) is running a crossover cable to the switch ??

Shouldn't that be a straight through cable from pc to switch ?

as far as statically assigning the DHCP address its possible.. in fact you can even bind the IP address to a specific MAC address.

Sahir

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #770 by GhostCert
Admin,

After thinking about what you posted I realized what the error was, and I will list it below:

GhostCert <

I was thinking about what you posted and looking at the IP table and realized that I had not assigned an IP to the PC that was connected to the switch........ :cry: Anyhow, at least I got to the root of that problem, but I am sure there are more to problems to come! :shock:

Sahrir(sp?),

Due to the numerous issues I had run into when first setting up the domain I did not even get as far as assigning IP addresses to Mac adresses in DHCP. However I will be doing that on my next try.

Thanks for the help all, and I will keep you posted...my next attempt could be tonight so a keep a lookout for more posts! :cry:
More
20 years 6 months ago #895 by GhostCert
Allright,

I finally gave up and I am installing W2k server again. For some reason I just could not get ICS to work on my public NIC. I just kept getting messages that stated that the IP address(192.168.0.1) was already assigned to a device on the LAN. Well I tried this even after unplugging the everything from the server, and I still got the error. What I think happened was that the 192.168.0.1 address was cached somewhere on my machine because when I had initially installed Windows, the router that the public Nic was connected to had the default of 192.168.0.1 ......damn you Netgear :twisted: . Anyhow, when I installed Active Directory and DNS I think that the 192.168.0.1 address was cached somewhere and I just could not find it.

I finally had enough and just re-installed. :shock: It was too late for me to go any further, and I will keep you all updated on my progress. By the way, I have changed the routers IP address so that I hopefully do not run into this error again.

I have a question though...might anyone know where IP addresses are cached? Does anyone agree with me that this was the issue? If it was cached or saved somewhere how could you remove it? Sorry for the long post, and I will keep you updated on my second attempt.

GhostCert
More
20 years 6 months ago #923 by tfs
Look in your registry. Do a find key on your IP address. There are various places it is kept. Some of them are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\(serial number - I think)\Parameters\Tcpip

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\(Serial number - I think)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\(serial number - I think)\Parameters\Tcpip

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\(Serial number - I think)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\(Serial number - I think)

As you can see some are just back up copies. One of the things I found before is that you could have an old entry of NIC card with an old address and it won't bind as it sees that card first and for some reason (in some cases), it won't look for the next (and legitimate card).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds