Skip to main content

New home network..everything right so far?

More
20 years 6 months ago #968 by tfs
Here are some links on IP cacheing:

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=...p&NoWebContent=1

Here is an article on how to get an address from the registry using a VB program. Easy to follow and will give you an idea where to look. In the program, it talks about finding the IP Address from the first NIC. May give you an insight into the problem.

www.codeproject.com/vbscript/ipaddress.asp

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #973 by GhostCert
TFS,

Thank you for the information, and the links..they are much appreciated. I re-installed Server last night and I was able to setup ICS to my LAN NIC. I am moving along slowly but this has definately been a learning experience so far. I guess my next issues will involve Windows and I will be posting in the Windows forum. LOL :o
More
20 years 6 months ago #974 by Chris
GhostCert,

I once read this in an article and I'll never forget it.
It went like this: "What you get when you don't resolve a problem is experience" .

In your case, this applies very nicely.

One suggestion I'd though like to make is that next time you deal with a problem, try not to tempt yourself to reinstall the O/S. Reason is because if one day you face that problem on a mission critical server... you won't be able to simply reinstall the whole O/S :)

Learning to deal with it will help you build up those important troubleshooting skills most people lack.

Make sure you keep us posted on your progress !

Cheers mate,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #999 by sahirh
Very well said ! I know this guy who gives service contracts, whenever there's any problem, its a flat reinstall of the OS ! This guy takes it to the next level.. he has generic answerfiles so he can do an unattended install etc. Perhaps its because he's pressed for time and can't sit and troubleshoot..

but I think most problems (other than os problems of course) can be fixed without resort to blanking the os..

Imagine if hardware vendors refused to fix hardware and told us to buy a computer each time some part fails (hey whaddyaknow, that would give pc sales a big boost)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1002 by tfs
That's the problem with most first-line techs. They have a rote set of solutions to any problem. Doesn't really matter what the problem is.

I got this from PowerQuest on a problem I was having imaging a drive. She went down her FAQ sheet and found something that looked like what I was asking about. After I told her that that wasn't the problem, she faxed me the solution anyway and said to look at it and try it out, then call back if it didn't work (like that was going to magically make it work).

The ones you really have to worry about are the DSL or cable modem ISPs. If you call the help desk, the first thing they want to do is redo all your settings - in which case, I immediately ask for level 2 tech support.

In the old days, when you had one vendor for your software and your hardware, the problem was that the software techs would always blame the hardware, and the hardware techs would always blame the software (and never the twain shall meet).

Ain't science grand !!!!

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1004 by sahirh
Wow.. they have a FAQ sheet to solve problems ? You'd think they'd be able to figure things out just from what you say on the phone !!
The nice thing about cisco is that you can do a 'show tech-support' and send them the output so they can really go through your problem... then again you'll never see a moron engineer working at cisco.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds