Skip to main content

New home network..everything right so far?

More
20 years 6 months ago #1007 by tfs
You must not talk to many service techs (other than cisco).

I get that problem all the time (if you talk to the first line people) - I get that from Linksys, also.

Of course, now that Cisco owns Linksys, you'd think they'd improve. Problem is - I think they've gotten worse.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1009 by sahirh
Nope never actually do talk to many tech support people thankfully ! :) I didn't know cisco bought over linksys.. where have I been ?!

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1017 by GhostCert
Ouch,

To tell the truth the major reason for the re-install was that I wanted to take the whole network setup from a different perspective and start fresh. I didn't really plan the first attempt to well, and I wanted to have a structured approach. As far as ICS I was reading some articles and I think the problem may have been the fact the I was trying to run ICS from a static IP that could be on the same subnet as 192.168.0.1. I could be wrong in this but, I have found my new, prepared approach much more pleasent thus far. Anyhow, the only problem I am having now is setting my Netgear Wireless router as an Access Point, but hopefully I will get that setup correctly tonight.
More
20 years 6 months ago #1029 by sahirh
Not sure what hardware you're using, but this might help you out :)
reviews-zdnet.com.com/NETGEAR_WG602___wi...6_16-30423702-2.html

Keep us posted on how things go..

Oh, and congratulations on being the originator of the most popular post on the board (I think yours is the most)

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1032 by tfs
What kind of problem are you having with your access point.

Make sure you have all encryptions and MAC filters off to start out with, just to make sure you can connect. I haven't sent one of them up, but have set a few Linksys APs up and they are pretty easy.

Just make sure you start out with your most basic setup to make sure everything is working. Normally, you get a quick setup Doc that comes with your unit. Just follow that to start out with then start making your changes slowly. Then make sure you add WEP (128 bits at least) and your MAC filter.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1086 by GhostCert
The networking segment of the my home network has been completed. The problem I was having was that I was trying to configure a wireless router to be an access point. I got it working when I realized I needed to setup a seperate subnet on the LAN side of the router. All is working as it should be, and now I am moving into the "Software phase" which I am not really looking forward too. I often wish my compant used Linux instead of M$ products. Anyhow, thanks for all the help all, and see you in the windows forum :shock: .
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds