Skip to main content

Router keels over..

More
21 years 2 months ago #511 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Router keels over..
Hi Steve,

Yes the name is chris [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for letting us know how things are going ... and by the sounds of it, you might even have a intermidently faultly network card.

There is no reason why your network card on your WinXP machine should need to be disabled and then re-enabled for it to work.
You surely have a problem there, and its either your card, or possibly the drivers your using for it. I would advise you to search for the latest available drivers to start off with.

Setting the router and your 3 pc's to static IP is a very good choice. It will help you determine if you have a DHCP problem with your router.

Another thing you should keep in mind is that there are cases where even though the LAN icon shows everything is okay ... it can be wrong ! Alot of wired things can happen with windows!

As for my home network, what you see is what I have ! I connect to the Internet using a 56k dialup simply because DSL and cable is not available here in thessaloniki-Greece. A permanent ISDN connection is out of the question since its extreamly expensive. I'd have to work 3/4 of the month simply to pay for it !!

Keep us posted on how things work out with the home network and thank you for the kind words. I am glad you enjoy the site, this is why it was created and why I spend most of my free time writing quality articles, so people like you can benefit from them. The only thing I as in return is that you let others know about it, so they too can benefit !

See you soon !

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
21 years 1 month ago #512 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Router keels over..
Hi there,

Problems have vanished as if by magic!

By some strange reason I found myself checking the 'integrity' of the cables connecting the PCs to the router, router to the modem and then to the filter. (wall socket)

Voila! I found that the cable from the modem to the filter was somewhat different, however, the same as the correct cable?! Confused?

Well, on checking the connection of the cable to the modem, I noticed that it was not mating as expected.

It should be an RJ11, is that right? Well the one that was originally plugged in looked the same albeit a little different. At the time it seemed to fit and provided a connection to the internet but not a reliable one as you well know.

Anyhow, I had a spare cable kicking about and replaced it. Everything is working fine... touchwood.

When logging into the modem software, I even noticed that the UPstream value changed from 276Kbits to 288Kbits. I assume the latter would be correct.

If you are interested in seeing what I mean about the cables, I can send you jpg of the two cables. Just drop an email.

Thanks for all your info. I have yet to change the network to static IPs, but I hope to do it in the next few days.

Ciao. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
More
21 years 1 month ago #513 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Router keels over..
Thats great to hear Steve,

Its little problems like these which end up making you installing o/s again and again, beating your head wondering what on earth is going on ... and at the end you figure its probably a simple cable [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Also wouldnt mind checking out the pics.

Cheers,

Chris P.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
21 years 1 month ago #514 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Router keels over..
Hi,

Tried to get some pics but the quality is poor on my digi camera but, I did a bit of research just to let you know what cable I was using.

I originally had an RJ10 cable plugged into the modem and into the wall. This is usually used with a standard modem right?
I now have the correct cable, an RJ11 in place. How the RJ10 managed to work I am not sure, but it did!

Keep you eyes peeled for my latest enquiry.
Thanks again.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds