Skip to main content

ENTENDING VOLUME/PARTITION IN WINDOWS SERVER 2003

More
19 years 1 week ago #8330 by lan2wan
Hi All,
I finally created a new partition from the unallocated disk space and made it a primary partition as well. I labelled it E: and tried the installation again choosing E: for the installation but the installer keeps coming up with the error message that there is not enough Disk space on C:. I now have 35GB on E: and I wonder why it still will not install.
I am thinking of moving some folders to E: to see if that will help.
As for extending the volume I now know that it cannot be done because of the boot and system files on it.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Dalight, The volume is basic.

Thank you
More
19 years 5 days ago #8368 by DaLight
lan2wan, you said in your last post that you tried to install to E:. Have you zapped your original 2003 installation? Also what is the size of your C: partition?
More
19 years 5 days ago #8370 by lan2wan
Dalight,
I did not zap 2003. What I did was to create a new partition from unallocated space on the disk and I labelled it E: so now I have 2 primary partitons and 1 extended partition.
The first primary partition which is C: has the boot and system, files.
I was finally able to install SP1 after moving some folders from C: to E: manually.
However I still will like to resolve the issue of being unable to install programs directly to E:

Thank you all. SP1 has been installed.
More
19 years 2 days ago #8399 by DaLight
Just to pursue this a bit further lan2wan if I may. I would not expect W2K3SP1 to install onto any volume other than that containing a valid W2K3 installation. While this does not explain your original problem with "lack of space", it would certainly explain why the installation to your new E: drive was not so straightforward i.e. until you copied the folders manually.

As to the original "lack of space" problem, I wonder if the installation to C: would have worked if you had been able to extend the volume containing C: to cover the entire hard disk using a third party utility.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds