Skip to main content

ENTENDING VOLUME/PARTITION IN WINDOWS SERVER 2003

More
19 years 1 week ago #8304 by lan2wan
I tried to download and install SP1 for windows Server 2003 today and after successfully downloading SP1, it won't install on the Server because it says it cannot find a volume that has enough space to install on.
I tried to extend the volume from the command line using the diskpart.exe utility. I used the list and detail commands to get info on the disk. and used the extend command to add space to the volume/partition.
I got an error message that the volume/partition cannot be extended. I guess this might be because it contains the boot partition et al.

Can someone please tell me what to do or how to go about extending the volume/partition.

There is only the primary partition and there is only one physical disk.
Total Disk Capacity is 102GB
Free space is 97GB
I hope there is osmeone out there who can help me with this
Thank you.
More
19 years 1 week ago #8306 by Chris
Lan2wan, are you running Windows 2003 Small Business pack by chance or is it a plain vanilla Windows 2003 installation ?

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 1 week ago #8310 by lan2wan
I am running windows server 2003 standard edition and I need to install SP1.
Thank you
More
19 years 1 week ago #8317 by DaLight
Just to clarify a couple of points. Does the current primary partition take up the whole disk? Also is the volume basic or dynamic?
More
19 years 1 week ago #8320 by prdgy
You wont be able to extend the system OR boot partition with Disk Management. You would need a 3rd Party tools such as partition magic.

Why do you need to extend the partition anyways?
More
19 years 1 week ago #8321 by Chris
Prdg,

quoting lan2wan's initial post:

I tried to download and install SP1 for windows Server 2003 today and after successfully downloading SP1, it won't install on the Server because it says it cannot find a volume that has enough space to install on.

That's the reason he needs to extend the partition.

Lan2wan, I've been searching for similar problems but could only find some installation issues with Windows 2003 Business server. I'll let you know if I've got any new information for you.

In the mean time, if you do find a solution or way around the problem, do let us know.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds