Skip to main content

I have some questions about some things in my WinXP..

More
19 years 11 months ago #3697 by sahirh
Okay can you list what programs you see starting up... it lists the registry key, and then what programs are starting in that key.. can you dump that data.. maybe a screenshot would be a good idea.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 11 months ago #3700 by MetaJoe
Ok, I'll take a screenshot of the list later today since I have a half day today, so I'll try to get aroud to it as soon as possible after school.

edit: Ok, I got the screenshots..
They are in order too, so I didnt miss any program..

More
19 years 11 months ago #3707 by indebluez
hi metajoe,
this is what i have done for my machine...coz i realsized everytime i boot up, it was jus way too slow and thats coz almost everythin tries to start up duing boot...so i wwent to msconfig, typed msconfig in run....and under startup i only checked those that i want to run when it starts....
u can also try ctrl+alt+del and clcik on the processes tab to see what processes are runnin on ur machine....anything that looks suspicious..end task it...
for the about blank...yes my friend had a huge problem with tt as well...heres what i think...dll is a library of functions thats called by a program on ur machine...so theres somethin on ur machine callin this about: blank thing....my friend had followed the insrtuctions on this site....
www.spywareinfo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43664&hl=
and it wked...perhaps u wanna try this....

also on the snapshots u have sent....i think these are the ones that sound fishy n u might want to take a double look,
2nd snapshot tgcmd from support.com and stcloader....perhaps u can use the msconfig and uncheck all the proccesses that u noe for startup...and reboot.dont run or start anything else..and then run the autorun from sysinternals.com...maybe then u can see more clearly, like whats givin u the problem...

chk out the spyware info site as well....
hmmm hope this helps:P
inde
More
19 years 11 months ago #3782 by MetaJoe
I've been needing to post this for days, but I got side-tracked among other things..

When I said it would change my homepage to "about:home" I noticed my mistake and it change my homepage to "about:blank" and I looked through the regestry the other day and noticed the reg value that was added from it, so now I know what it does, so i just delete the reg value it adds..(and I found the actual ".exe" file that causes it..but it hides deep in the windows PC health files..(some "msconfig.exe" file))

Oh and now I have a new problem..

I went to some geocities site it immediately kicked me off the internet without warning and then afterwards my mail program got some new mail and I tried going into the program in both safe and normal mode and I still cannot get in completley. When I open the program, it will close itself out as soon as its done starting itself up..so basically I cannot check my mail..

edit: Oh indebluez, about that startup list of the prgrams that startup, I noticed that I could do that a few days ago, so I checked some unnecessary programs off and it seems to speed things up quite a bit to be honest.
More
19 years 11 months ago #3796 by sahirh
Owch, sounds like some nasty malware to me.. If I were you I would just format my hard-disk and reinstall. Don't take your system online until you've got the necessary patches (you're asking yourself how in gods name do you get the patches without going online..).. well a simple solution would be to go to www.zonealarm.com and get their personal firewall (do this before you reinstall). Then reinstall and install zonealarm.. then go online and get your patches.

Furthermore, I would recommend you disable javascript in your browser if you don't need it. It can do nasty things... as it appears to have done to your system.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 11 months ago #3802 by MetaJoe

Owch, sounds like some nasty malware to me.. If I were you I would just format my hard-disk and reinstall. Don't take your system online until you've got the necessary patches (you're asking yourself how in gods name do you get the patches without going online..).. well a simple solution would be to go to www.zonealarm.com and get their personal firewall (do this before you reinstall). Then reinstall and install zonealarm.. then go online and get your patches.

Furthermore, I would recommend you disable javascript in your browser if you don't need it. It can do nasty things... as it appears to have done to your system.

First of all, I already have ZoneAlarm..Plus to be exact.
And how do I format my hard-disk and reinstall? And are you talking about the symantic nortan antivirus patches? or zonealarm patches?

and how do I disable javascript? I'm looking for it on the internet security options, but I dont see it.
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds