Skip to main content

Task Manager disabled!

More
14 years 10 months ago #30589 by sys-halt
Replied by sys-halt on topic Re: Task Manager disabled!
You don't have to format your PC just because a virus hit it. I am not sure if your tried the solution I suggested above! sound like you didn't because it solves such problems..

anyway good luck in your format. enjoy!
More
14 years 10 months ago #30597 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Task Manager disabled!
Probably a virus as has been mentioned above. If the problem persists even after removing the virus, then try this:

Click [Start] -> [Run...] then type gpedit.msc then click [OK]. The group policy editor should show up. On the left pan, browse to [User Configuration] -> [Administrative Templates] -> [System] -> [Ctrl+Alt+Del Options]. Now on the right pan you will see the entry [Remove Task Manager], make sure it's set to "Not Configured". Check to see if your task manager works now.

You can find many other settings in the group policy editor that the virus might have played with. The default value should always be "Not Configured".

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 10 months ago #30599 by Losh
Replied by Losh on topic Re: Task Manager disabled!

You don't have to format your PC just because a virus hit it. I am not sure if your tried the solution I suggested above! sound like you didn't because it solves such problems..

anyway good luck in your format. enjoy!

I tried the combofix.exe but it actually didn't solve the taskmanager problem. Actually it fixed so many errors i didn't even know existed. Thanx alot for the tip, i realised its not a must i format my PC everytime its gets infected.

I also tried SoLo's solution. with that one it only enables your task manager for a while but it disables itself after a couple of minutes. thanks by the way.

Although for registry editing which was my main concern, can also be enabled using the gpedit.msc command but only for a while just like task manager.

i think the situation is still a win-win.

Thanks alot people.

~ Networking :- Just when u think its starting to make sense......... ~
14 years 10 months ago #30604 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Task Manager disabled!

I also tried SoLo's solution. with that one it only enables your task manager for a while but it disables itself after a couple of minutes.

This indicates that the virus is still there. I suggest updating your Anti-virus then doing a full scan on all hard drives you have.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 10 months ago #30605 by sys-halt
Replied by sys-halt on topic Re: Task Manager disabled!
I am glad you are not taking the Format Road. S0lo is probably right about the existence of the virus.

it is weird for combofix not fixing this issue. I used it every day in my technical support and I faced your problem a lot and lots of times and combofix came to the rescue. especially after disabling system restore and run it in safe mode.

I will ADD some programs to try that might help you a lot in solving your problem:

1. Disable ALL your Services and Startup programs from msconfig, the system configuration utility. just go to Run type msconfig and in the service tab and startup tab disable all running programs and services. in the services tab there is a little check box for hiding all microsoft services please be sure to check this box on before disabling the rest of services and a virus might reside in the startup programs so it might be caught by combofix but it regenerating itself every time you reboot.

2. Disable System Restore for sure

3. Clean Your Windows Temp Files, it might have variants sitting in the Temp folder so it is regenerating itself. that might be found in Docuements and Settings--> User Account ---> Local Settings ---> Temp folder clear also your Temporary Internet Folder too. also check your Account Folder in Docuements and Settings for any unusual .bat porgrams residing in it or any zip or compressed files! a virus might set in your User account and load itself in every boot.

4. Download Antivir the Avira Antivirus its free version with the updates. it is a very good standalone antivirus. install it and update it.

5. Download Malwarebytes with its update. install it and update it.

6. Go Into Safe Mode. Run Combofix first, The Malwarebytes then Scan with Antivir.

7. as a final resort if this does not solved your issue then you would have to unplug your HDD attache it into another system with antivirus like Kaspersky and do the scan for it. becuase the virus might still be loading itself in safe mode due ot a registry settings.

Good Luck.
More
14 years 8 months ago #31409 by Kick15
Replied by Kick15 on topic Re: Task Manager disabled!
I realize this thread is about 2 months old I just figured I'd put in my 2 cents. I recently ran into this problem with a client. I solved it as follows.

Run windows in safe mode and scan with your antivirus/malware. Once this is completed reboot and let the OS load normally. Now open up the Group Policy Editor under Administrator Tools.

Once in the Group Policy Editor, expand in turn:

•User Configuration
•Administrative Templates
•System
•Ctrl+Alt+Del Options

This last option will all you to enable the task manager once more.

Kick
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds