Skip to main content

Windows 7

More
15 years 1 month ago #29560 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Windows 7
We'll meet you back here Stephanie and I'm sure you'll be rather impressed with the improvements and speed of Win7.

I'm currently running it, and I really like it. Keep in mind this is just a beta and its running strong. Just wait until all the comments are reviewed from the beta and things are patched up.

Comments may feed into this thread stating Windows sucks or that I'm just a Windows user. But the fact of the matter is, I run Windows and OSX as my primary operating systems. I also run various Linux distro's on the side and soon a Unix box.

Windows + OSX + Linux = gEEking at its finest!

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
15 years 1 month ago #29581 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic yah right ......
Yeah zippy u are right..... nice analysis

Windows + OSX + Linux = gEEking at its finest!

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 1 month ago #29599 by Stephanie
Replied by Stephanie on topic Re: Windows 7
I finally got Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my now formally Vista laptop. I did expect some problems and true to form for Beta's...I had one major one. I kept getting the error...0x80070241. The first try got about 20% through the "Copying" process then the error... "Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070241".

I'll spare you the gory details, and number of re-tries using various settings, but I did get it to install after re-burning the ISO to a DVD+R disc. I compared the discs, all folders had the same size and the total disc sizes matched, no scratches on the media??? I'm just glad I didn't have to down the 3.15GB file again!

Now lets see what problems I run in to with the applications.

I did have one other issue, it gave me some static about my wireless network. I had to delete the connection it configured during the install and create a new one. I re-entered the same security settings and network key re-started IE and it was all good.
More
14 years 11 months ago #30298 by wbx
Replied by wbx on topic Re: Windows 7
I ran Windows 7 on my laptop 2 months ago, Dell XT, only 3GB RAM, I choose to do a clean install, I had Vista Ultimate.

Last week I got updated to build 7000 it was invisible to me, everything seems working fine, I have even installed BumpTOP desktop management and runs great.

I just wish I had a solid state hard drive though. :P
More
13 years 4 weeks ago #36643 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Windows 7
After a couple of months of indecision I did an upgrade of my personal Vista laptop to Win 7 and it worked fine. First thing I did was to thoroughly clean up the Vista with Ccleaner, Smart Defrag etc and then reviewed all the software on there uninstalling any bits I didn't really need. Then I freed as much disk space as possible and deleted unwanted shortcusts etc. Basically a thorough spring clean. After that the machine ran a little better but was still a bit underwhelming.
Next I ran the Win 7 Upgrade advisor which flagged up a couple of drivers it thought I should update and one piece of software it said might not work. I uninstalled the software, updated the drivers and ran it again. It found more drivers, so I updated them and ran it again. Then it re-reported one of the drives I'd already updated and told me to update it again. So I didn't bother.
The upgrade took about 2 hours to run. After it everything still worked though I had to re-enter my wireless WPA key for some reason. And the machine is definitely more responsive than it was with Vista.
So basically the upgrade does work although my advice would be to approach it cautiously as I did. And as long as there's nothing fundamentally wrong with your machine before you start then you will see benefits though if the articles are to be believed perhaps not as much as you'd see from a clean install
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds