Skip to main content

WinAdmin iPhone Help

More
15 years 4 months ago #28459 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: WinAdmin iPhone Help
huron,

Since your ISP modem worked with WinAdmin, this makes sure that the problem is neither in your home PC nor in your iPhone. Check your vonage modem and see if the port forwarding of 3389 goes to the write private IP of your home PC. If you're using DHCP (Automatic IP settings) for your home PC, try to assign it a static (fixed) IP and forward port 3389 to that IP in your vonage.

I assume here that your home PC can connect to the net via your vonage modem.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 4 months ago #28460 by huron
Replied by huron on topic Re: WinAdmin iPhone Help
Hi SOlo,

I set the the IP on my computer and forwarded port 3389 to that IP on my vonage router. I cannot connect. And yes I access the net from my PC through the vonage router and then cable modem.
More
15 years 4 months ago #28461 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: WinAdmin iPhone Help

Hi SOlo,

I set the the IP on my computer and forwarded port 3389 to that IP on my vonage router. I cannot connect. And yes I access the net from my PC through the vonage router and then cable modem.

I understand from this that your vonage is behind your ISP modem. In this case, your ISP modem is probably the one doing NAT for you, hence it's the one you should configure for port 3389 forwarding, not the vonage (I'm assuming here that the vonage is only doing routing). BUT if your vonage is also doing NAT (i.e double NAT!!). Then keep the port 3389 forwarding on the vonage router AND configure your ISP modem to forward port 3389 to the IP of your vonage interface facing the ISP modem.

Hope this helps.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 4 months ago #28464 by huron
Replied by huron on topic Re: WinAdmin iPhone Help
I am unable to change the settings on the ISP modem. I called my ISP and they told me that all ports are open including 3389. The settings cannot be changed. They said the problems lies with my Linksys (Vonage) router.
More
15 years 4 months ago #28467 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: WINADMIN with IP phone
hmmm, I thought you were able to configure your ISP modem when you said.

I was able to login to my PC at home through the isp modem. However, I had to disconnect my vonage modem to accomplish this.

It seams to me then that your ISP modem is not doing NAT at all since you were able to RDP from outside without doing a port forward on it. This is a little strange. But let me ask you this, when you connect to the ISP modem without the vonage, does your home PC IP address looks like 192.168.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x or 10.x.x.x? OR is it some thing else. If it's some thing else, then it's a public IP and this proves that your ISP modem is NOT doing NAT. So you don't need port forwarding.

In this case your vonage is probably doing the NAT so I don't see why a simple port 3389 forward on the vonage wont work!!.

However, Same thing applies when your connected to the vonage. If your PC IP is not one of those (192.168.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x or 10.x.x.x) then AGAIN your IP is a public IP and you don't need port forwarding on the vonage. (But I don't think that this is your case).

So to help you further, tell us which device is doing NAT, is it your ISP modem or your vonage or none?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 9 months ago #31093 by Binitbob
Replied by Binitbob on topic Re: WinAdmin iPhone Help
I had a similar problem after restoring the iPhone and re-installing the software. I have to activate the VPN mode of the iphone before it would connect in. Though I am certain I didn't have to do that originally when I installed it.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds