Skip to main content

DOS Help

More
20 years 3 months ago #2457 by steveb12
Replied by steveb12 on topic Re: DOS Help
Wow. Thanks a bunch for those 3 links Sahirh. All 3 look great!
More
20 years 3 months ago #2461 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: DOS Help
BE MORE SPECIFIC! Lol, what'cha wanna know about DOS.

I know you would rather answer our questions then eat that is why you hadn't eatten in 10 hours

Thanks
More
20 years 3 months ago #2464 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: DOS Help
Well if you dig around in the forums you'll find one of my really old posts called 'The power of command line tools'. That would interest you. Windows scripting is supposed to be really powerful (I've never used it). Coming from the *nix command line tradition (where scripting,redirection and piping are taken to their artful extremes), I'm really looking forward to Longhorn.. which will apparently feature a nicely souped up CLI and scripting system.

So after throwing out DOS completely from the WinME days and telling us that nobody would want to use a command line, MS has gone and given it back to us.. a good decision as far as I'm concerned... point and click with a fancy GUI is horribly slow when you're pressed for time.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2466 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: DOS Help
[code:1]Windows scripting is supposed to be really powerful (I've never used it). [/code:1]

Interesting. :lol:

As far as DOS goes, I would look at the scripting, which is really DOS scripts that have evolved over the years. Why learn the old style if you are never going to use it. Look at the more recent scripts to get an idea of what is being used. There are various sites with lots of scripts to play with. You might want to look at VBScipts also as that is popular.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 3 months ago #2476 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: DOS Help
I really should look at windows scripting.. though I've usually found that batch files suffice for the more routine tasks.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds