Skip to main content

Desktop Icons Disappear

More
16 years 6 months ago #23356 by skepticals
Well, I also had a problem with a profile on a wired computer not loading. This computer would not load any of it's icons. I trained the users to log off and log back on and it would then load the profile.

I went in to Group Policy and changed a great deal of settings and it seemed to of helped. Sorry, I don't have the specifics in front of me, but I changed GPO so it would not cache the roaming profile locally, it would wait for network connection, it would log off if a profile was not found. I changed anything I could think of that would permit a user to login without a profile. It fixed the problem with the wired computer. I am going to test the wireless problem today. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23361 by skepticals
I tried to login on the laptop using the wireless connection and the icons still vanish. One thing to note is that I am using Roaming Profiles with Folder Redirection - the User's Desktop is one of the folders that are being redirected.

I don't know why, but I clicked on the desktop and tried F5 to give it a refresh and the user's icons appeard. Weird.

An additional problem I found now, after changing the GPO settings, is my users' desktop wallpaper is not romaing. It is a default blue.
More
16 years 6 months ago #23429 by ping
Replied by ping on topic Re: Desktop Icons Disappear
Correct me if i am wrong but...

May there be some problem of virus or something like that....

Cheers..
Ping:lol:

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
More
16 years 6 months ago #23435 by skepticals
I do not think it is a virus because it works on the wired connection, but not on the wireless. Also, when he is on the wireless the only problem is the lack of his icons.

I have had this happen on another hard-wired computer with a different user as well. It seems like the profiles are becoming unstable. Not sure what the problem is yet.

I am assuming it has something to do with my current combination of the GPO settings. There were a great deal that are related to roaming profiles.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which settings are the most stable? Should I delete local copies of the profile? Slow link detection on a LAN? Etc...
More
16 years 6 months ago #23464 by dogalpha
Replied by dogalpha on topic Solution?
More
16 years 6 months ago #23471 by ping
Replied by ping on topic Re: Desktop Icons Disappear
I think your roming profiles are currupted i got this from here:

studenthelp.itee.uq.edu.au/faq/profile/

It says that

How do I know if my roaming profile has become corrupted?

Your know your profile is corrupt when

* You see a small dialog box indicating that your profile is corrupt, while logging in to a Windows 2000 machine. (or)
* You are able to login to a machine but do not see your customized desktop or application settings. This means that the files that contain your customized profile information have become corrupt and cannot be read by the system.

Let me know if it is that the case??

Cheers..
Ping :lol:

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do..!!
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds