Skip to main content

Desktop Icons Disappear

More
16 years 7 months ago #23320 by skepticals
I have a weird problem with a laptop running XP connecting to a Windows 2003 domain.

When I have the laptop connect to our wireless network, the desktop icons will show for a second then dissapear. We are using roaming profiles with folder redirection. I have tried refreshing policies, rebooting, loggin on/off multiple times.

I still have access to all system resources and shares while the destop icons are gone.

If I take the laptop and plug it in with a wired port, the desktop displays perfect.

Any thoughts?
More
16 years 7 months ago #23322 by GTM
Replied by GTM on topic Re: Desktop Icons Disappear
Have you tried logging onto the laptop with a different user account to rule out a specific profile issue ?
More
16 years 7 months ago #23323 by skepticals
Well of course not - that would have been good troubleshooting. I will give that a shot and report back.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23348 by FallenZer0

Have you tried logging onto the laptop with a different user account to rule out a specific profile issue ?

If it's an issue with a specific profile, why would the desktop icons show when wired as per the OP?

Cheers
FallenZer0

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
16 years 7 months ago #23349 by KiLLaBeE
Being that you are using roaming profiles and that you are on a domain environment, I suspect that this may be related to the speed it takes to load the roaming profile (since wired is generally faster than wireless). See if the "slow network connection timeout for user profiles" policy setting has anything to do with it. This policy setting can be found in Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Logon. Also see if anything related to speed has anything to do with this.

K
More
16 years 6 months ago #23353 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Desktop Icons Disappear
Thats what i was thinking but couldn't remember what the GPO setting was. That said though, you wouldn't think a wireless link would be too slow for the profile.

How big is the roaming profile ? We did have some slow issues on old NT systems because users where saving really large files to the desktop.....

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds