Skip to main content

Problem with Windows XP Login

More
17 years 7 months ago #16697 by Speshalyst
Hi,

I guess u did not read thru the google hits properly :wink:

1. copy explorer.exe to a different location- call it explorer1.exe
2. use a hex editor - Look for the Appropriate string to change change the START to any other 5 characters..
3. change the registry to point the to explorer1.exe to have a different text instead of START .

More
17 years 7 months ago #16704 by Staticrichard
Hi All,

Thanks for the valuable suggestion, I always use to test and edit with registry safely, but this time around, it got messed up.

1. I have tried safe mode
2. I have tried last know good configuration

still no luck, iam able to reach to the desktop, but there i no icons and all i see is my wallpaper.

I have not tired the ctrl + Alt + Del to get the task manager, let me try and will update the status :?: . Thanks once again.

Static Richard
More
17 years 7 months ago #16706 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic good
hi,
there's one thing you can try doing. system restore it. but you must be thinking how to do that since you cannot access any menus.
here's the trick, you said you can access the task manager. once you have done so, click on the button that says New Task. this will bring up the Run dialog box which you are well aware of. now in the Run dialog box type msconfig. and press enter. this will bring up the configuration manager. from it you can run system restore. use it to return to a date when all was ok.
let us know how it went

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 7 months ago #16709 by Staticrichard
Hi All,

Well i have a good news, I have got my computer to its orginal form, what i actually did is, I accessed the task manager and I click on New Task Button and from the task i have typed
regedit, I went in to the registry and restored the setting to
explorer.exe in the shell, where i originally changed and now iam able to login to XP without any problem.

Its really good to make mistakes like this, which is giving opportunity to learn new things! :) Thanks once again to all.

Static Richard :D
More
17 years 7 months ago #16719 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic good news
hi,
good to know that you have finally managed to put your computer back to it's original status.
while i was typing my last resolution, it did cross my mind, to enter regedit i.e. registr editor, using the task manager and undo the changes that you did. but for some reason i had the impression that you had already tried that and it didn't work out.
anyway, we all learn from our mistakes, and emerge smarter.
cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 7 months ago #16727 by Smurf
Glad to hear its all sorted. running explorer.exe should have brought everything back up so you could have then sorted out the registry

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds