Skip to main content

Problem with Windows XP Login

More
17 years 8 months ago #16592 by Staticrichard
Hi All,

I have two Operating system running in my PC, recenltly i have
tried to change the display name on the start button to my name and i have taken up the recommendation from google search and done the following change. I went to this location

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] and I have selected the shell from the
list and i have changed the "Value data" to my name from "explorer.exe", and since then when ever i try to login to my xp, Iam able to reach the screen for selecting profile and type the password from there iam unable reach desktop, I could only see my wallpaper then nothing else.

My brother had some data stored in his profile in desktop, so i cant even take the risk of re-installing the OS. Can some one help me to come out of this situation. :(

Static Richard

Miles to Go and Smiles to Come. :)
More
17 years 8 months ago #16594 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic safe mode
have you tried entering "safe mode" by pressing F8 button while the computer is booting up. it should let you enter the boot-up options and one of them is the "safe mode".
use this mode to logon into your computer. then revert the change you did to your registry for that particular user name

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 8 months ago #16601 by Smurf
If Arani suggestion doesn't work, Can you get to task manager once its booted up (Ctrl Alt Delete) ? If you can, try running the explorer.exe shell to see if it brings stuff up. Sometimes when my desktop goes blank, i need to manually run explorer.exe to bring everything back.

If you can get to task manager, click File --> New Task (Run) and browse or type explorer.exe and see if this then works.

Then you can revert the registry back to how it was.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 8 months ago #16603 by Dove
Hi Staticrichard,
If the OS is Win 2k / win XP then try to boot from "Last known Good Configuration Mode" from thr u can restore the Registry

Dove
More
17 years 8 months ago #16613 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic config for startup
Last Known Good Configuration, which starts your computer using the registry information that was saved at the last shutdown, might not be of any use to you, considering that you have already saved config in your registry when you made that tweak and had rebooted the computer which involves a "shutdown". so now that is your last known good configuration which includes your registry tweak.
point of caution that i might advise right now, everything on google is not bible. you should understand that the registry for a windows operating system is one of the most crucial thing needed for a fully functional system. editing, deleting or even tweaking registry keys should be done with utmost caution, unless you know everything about registry and know how to bring the system back to working condition after a virtual meltdown.
if you do want to try something new, always, always, always backup your registry first and then try your stuff. so that if it is a meltdown, then atleast you can enter safe mode, and retrieve all good registry information from the backup registry files.
cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 8 months ago #16626 by Dove
Hope it may work for you otherwise!

copy the explorer.exe file from another system and copy it into this and then restart the system. :idea:

Dove
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds