Skip to main content

Printer Page counting on a server 2003 network

More
18 years 1 week ago #14200 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Printer
WebJetAdmin will certainly do it and from a central machine too. For those who've not seen it, the software maintains a small database of all your HP printers and lets you access and control the JetDirect software in the printers from a central point. In our enterprise we have around 400 HP printers to support across multiple sites, and when a user phones to say that their printer is not printing it is sooooo satisfying to be able to have a quick look and calmly say "Well it might help if you replenished the paper...".
Getting back to the page count issue, you could also achieve the same thing by just accessing the JetDirect software from a central web browser. The one drawback with both these is that every month you'll have to spend a chunk of time getting the page count from every printer and compiling your report. That's why I suggested scripting it
More
18 years 1 week ago #14226 by DaLight
As the Bishop has confirmed, WebJetAdmin is a pretty impressive piece of software. I just downloaded it and let it loose on my massive network of 5 HP printers. It found all the printers with JetDirect print servers and after downloading the Report generation plug-in, I was able to schedule data collection from the printers. You can choose to do this hourly, daily, weekly or monthly. Reports can then be created based on the collected data and these can be emailed automatically as scheduled. You can pretty much report on anything over any period.
More
18 years 1 week ago #14289 by DaLight
I've now run WebJetAdmin for a couple of days and here's screenshot of a report on page counts. It even differentiates between colour and black/white pages!

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds