Skip to main content

Printer Page counting on a server 2003 network

More
18 years 1 week ago #14154 by jacko0
Hi, I am running a Server 2003 network and I need to count how many pages all 40 printers are printing in 1 month.

Whats the best way?

Thanks

Jacko
More
18 years 1 week ago #14155 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Printers
Wow, what a good question. I can't think of a way to do it through the OS - doesn't mean there isn't one though. Come on world, can this be done?
If you're using HP laser printers try using the web browser to access the management pages. There's usually a count on there. Once you've found it maybe you could knock up a script to retrieve the values using SNMP and produce a monthly report
More
18 years 1 week ago #14158 by jacko0
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!
We do have all HP Laser Jet Printers :D

But "knocking up a script to retrieve the values using SNMP and produce a monthly report" might be a bit out of my depth :cry:

But I will have a look and see what I can find. Thanks very much for the help !
More
18 years 1 week ago #14159 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Script
It might not be as hard as you think. A fair number of SNMP swiss-army-knife type programs will let you build a scheduled collection job. HP Openview NNM does for example. Or you could use something like MRTG to do it. The key to all of this, however, is finding/knowing the SNMP OID where the value resides in the printers you have
More
18 years 1 week ago #14168 by jacko0
It looks like HP Jetdirect Software will do the job. :D
More
18 years 1 week ago #14189 by DaLight
The Bishop's suggestion (SNMP) is brilliant if you're willing to get your hands dirty or tinker. You could however use a solution from HP called HP Web Jetadmin. I'm not sure if this was what jacko0 was referring this. Check out this link for the specs and also this one for a report generation plug-in for the same product.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds