Skip to main content

2 ip addresses one network card routing windows xp

More
20 years 6 months ago #1181 by rutairayel
is it possible to have routing between 2 subnetted networks using windows 2000/xp on a machine containing one network card with 2 ip addresses assigned to it... going off of the exampled provided in Method 2: Binding 2 IP Addresses to the same network card at www.firewall.cx/ip-subnetting-routing.php ... if this is possible, how...
More
20 years 6 months ago #1186 by sahirh
I dont see why it shouldn't work.. for all intents and purposes its like having two ip addresses.. I know that people use the multiple IP on one NIC when NATing.. and ISPs use it when they want one machine to provide hosting for more than one website, using different static IPs...

Enabling the routing shouldn't be that hard.. type start > run > services.msc

Then find the service that is called 'Routing and Remote Access' and turn it on. If that doesn't work, then try modifying this key in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip \Parameters
subkey : "IPEnableRouter" entry ,default set to "0", change to "1".

This works to enable routing in Win2k, and XP is the same thing with a dirty green and blue start bar ;)

Post your results, I want to know if this works as I don't have a second machine running here to test with, and I'm too lazy to install a vmware guest OS.

Just make sure that you have connectivity to both subnets you want to route between (obviously).

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1187 by tfs
That should work.

Here is a URLs that shows it for both XP and W2K.

www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/w2kprout.htm

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1193 by sahirh
Haha Tom.. the info at the end of my post with the registry key was taken from the page you linked to in your post :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 6 months ago #1240 by tfs
Hey, two great minds thinking together !!! :D

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1332 by rutairayel
all of this points to using 2 network cards, i was talking about using just one network card, two subnets...
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds