Skip to main content

Nagios Users...

• gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 3 weeks ago #29981 by gagamboy
Replied by gagamboy on topic Re: Nagios Users...
As I believe, there are 2 factors that your WUG detected your server as down, one, it is down (power, no network, hangs-up..etc) and two, either its network line/connection to switch is down or either the port on where it is connected is having problem (err-disabled, shutdown)) and it should indicate a red line (connection from server to switch) in network map.

That is my thought :D.. and probably it is a misconfiguration, as for my experience in WUG I have'nt encountered that problem before.

Hope my thoughts help you.. :D
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #30070 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Nagios Users...
@ gagamboy -

We have chosen to go with Nagios as our core network monitoring system. We decided to scrap WUG due to licensing issues. The board wasn't prepared to drop more cash and licenses.

How are the tests going between Nagios and Zenoss?

Cheers mate,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 weeks ago #30079 by gagamboy
Hi Zippy,

As of now, Nagios is on #1 spot and Zenoss is on the #2 :-) but I am still in process of analyzing the big difference of Nagios. Zenoss have a good reporting of MRTG, error packets, CPU and Memory utilization (graph form) and also good notification via email. Nagios can send notification via email and SMS (mobile phone), but I have'nt tried it yet. Also I am trying to find-out if the zenoss can notify me when there is temperature breakdown on my routers and switches.

I am not sure if it possible but I will do my best.

Any thoughts about this guys?

Cheers!
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 weeks ago #30080 by gagamboy
Btw, What made you to use nagios instead of other available network monitoring tools?

What factors do you consider? :D

Sorry for the question but I am very interested in your opinion and point of view.

Thanks. :D
More
15 years 1 week ago #30111 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Nagios Users...
No sorry needed gagamboy, we are all here to answer each others questions!

A couple factors made me choose Nagios. First, Nagios was brought to my attention on a horrific day. Our co-lo datacenter had a major power issue where the entire data center crashed (> 2min) but even two minutes for a data center is hours in comparison. The data center was packed with network administrators and engineers. Everybody was frantic as they tried to get there equipment back online. I noticed many of the administrators and engineers were running this unique looking application. I asked a couple of people and they informed me it was Nagios.

Later that day I found out that the entire data center used Nagios to monitor the infrastructure. I started to do some reading on Nagios and in-depth research. What really pulled me into Nagios was the Linux backbone the application is laid on, along with the simplicity. I use the word simplicity in the context of... the program is focused on doing its job, not to look pretty!! Many monitoring applications seem to focus on the GUI and how the output looks, when this isn't the MAIN concern. Sure it looks nice in the NOC's, and believe me I'm all about that, but when your network infrastructure is on the line you'd be surprised how fast you'll put looks behind you.

Nagios is very detailed in its configurations and setup. I've only tapped into 10% or 15% of the application. I've purchased some books and working diligently to learn Nagios in-depth.

That is the core of it, and why I chose Nagios.

Cheers mate,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds