Skip to main content

Nagios Users...

More
15 years 1 month ago #29778 by ZiPPy
Nagios Users... was created by ZiPPy
Hey everybody!

I'm looking for some Nagios users. For those of you that don't know what Nagios is, its labeled as the industry standard in enterprise network and system monitoring. Linux based, scalable and extensible.

I'm looking to implement it in my test environment at work, and hopefully into production soon. I wanted to get some insight from other users who have already implemented the system. Being that its Linux based really intrigued me, as well as the amount of literature available. I'm currently comparing Nagios to another similar application called What's Up Gold. I'm not to huge on WUG, so I'm seeking something better and more scalable.

The documentation for install includes Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu as the Linux distributions. I'm looking into using OpenSUSE for now. I'm curious as to what others users are using.

Hope to start an intuitive post on this topic. I strongly feel that the networks we design and build are only as strong as the uptime and proactive measures we take, respectively.

Cheers mates,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
15 years 4 weeks ago #29927 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Nagios Users...
I know we have obsessive Linux users on the forums ...but nothing huh?

ZiPPy and Nagios are going alone on this one. :(

What is Nagios? ----> www.nagios.org/

ZiPPy
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 3 weeks ago #29959 by gagamboy
Replied by gagamboy on topic Re: Nagios Users...
Hi Zippy,

Me too, I am currently doing a comparison between Nagios and Zenoss monitoring tool. I had tried to set-up Nagios, looks good but when I add device to monitor, it is CLI based (maybe I am just too lazy :D) but for Zenoss it is easy (GUI based) and also for Whatsup Gold--> you can see your current topology, but you have to construct it yourself.

nagios and Wug--> great network maps (nagios--> you just have to add a plugin)
zenoss --> auto discover network maps but have problem in term of connection in maps, you have to manually change the routing table just to have a connection between two net devices ( I think so :D)

Hope I gave some useful info.

Cheers!
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #29962 by ZiPPy
Thanks for the reply gagamboy! Glad to know I'm not the only one running these network monitoring apps.

I haven't gotten Nagios fully up and running, as I was having problems getting the web interface installed. I finally passed that point. I wasn't aware that Nagios was full CLI after install. I think the GUI for a network monitoring system is rather important. But then again, the GUI for the network output for Nagios looks clean and concise.

Have you worked with WUG in the past? What did you think about all its features?

A friend actually just mentioned Zenoss to me last night. I will have to look into Zenoss and see what it has to offer.

I've got a few to choose from here. Thanks again!!

Cheers mate,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
  • gagamboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 3 weeks ago #29966 by gagamboy
Replied by gagamboy on topic Re: Nagios Users...
Yes, I have tried the WUG and it is very powerful I'll give it 10 out 10 for monitoring but you need to purchase its license(so it needs some budget for implementation) .. it can monitor all interfaces and gives you the best network maps. Once there is a net device problem it indicates immediately the problem thru its network map (GUI) and notifies you via email.

Zenoss and nagios also does that but for network map(gui) WUG is better.

You can also try to research about Solarwinds orion, it is a very good tool (all in one).
More
15 years 3 weeks ago #29967 by ZiPPy
I would agree that WUG is a very powerful tool. When I first came across WUG, it was version 8. So to say the least, I wasn't to impressed with the interface. But I got a copy of version 11 and I'm starting to like it.

But I wonder how accurate is WUG? I currently have a couple servers on my network that WUG thinks are down (http). I have verified that the servers aren't down. Have you had any troubles with accurate readings when WUG polls the network. I mean this is rather important, as we need very accurate readings.

Do you think its a misconfiguration?

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds