Skip to main content

FINDING A GOOD LINUX ?????? I'm Bad at that HELP ME OUT!

More
17 years 4 weeks ago #21075 by durk21
i couldn't get that link to work. but i will use your advice on the google for a group.
More
17 years 4 weeks ago #21078 by FallenZer0

i couldn't get that link to work. but i will use your advice on the google for a group.

If you have bothered to delete the extra comma, in the link, you would have not gotten the 404.

Here it is for your benefit

www.linux.org/groups/

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
17 years 4 weeks ago #21079 by KiLLaBeE
Sir,

Having attempted to migrate to Linux several times and failing miserably, my advice to you is this: If you're completely new to Linux, you first want a distribution that is easy to install, easy to use, and well known--so documentation and assistance won't be scarce. If you're complete new to it, be prepared to do some reading and research, we can only hold your hand so much and for so long. If you really want to learn Linux and migrate to it and learn it like you know Windows, I think that it's helpful that you allocate a task for it, that way you'll force yourself to use it in order to complete that task, and in turn you'll be forcing yourself to learn it. For example, if you usually do school work on your Windows machine, start doing that on the Linux machine. If you use Linux just to "see what it is," you'll be learning just that, "what it is" (enough to help you in differentiating Linux from Windows). Then again, it comes down to how deep into Linux you want to go.

Not sure if you guys have used VMplayer, but I found this really cool site where you can download preinstalled and preconfigured virtual machines. The site has a wide variety of Linux distributions. If you simply want to find the right Linux distribution, but don't want to spend time in installing it only to discover that it's not the right one, you can download the virtual machine and run it on VMplayer. The site is: www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45

K
More
17 years 4 weeks ago #21082 by durk21
i recommend UBUNTU it worked great for me on my 4 gb drive and was fun to play with though sadly it did not worked as i planned bc win takes over and i need to plug it in to use it and unplug it not too kind of thing

there was no master boot kernel i might try making the ubuntu drive my maste rbut im worried it might screw my boot over since im using a DDO on my 300 gb to load my windows

but yeah i was surprised normally u get a screen asking you which u want to load win oe linux and i didnt get it

but ubuntu has a task bar and is easy to decipher it looks near enough to windows though the features work TOTALLY different and are way more powerful and in depth you really need to know what your doing just to set stuff up

even the net requires you to know more than average things

ubuntu even found my printer and installed it which i was surpirsed with it seems to have a good list of drivers too.

sadly though none of my good stuff works on linux bc its all .exe files
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #21121 by Smurf

Not sure if you guys have used VMplayer, but I found this really cool site where you can download preinstalled and preconfigured virtual machines. The site has a wide variety of Linux distributions. If you simply want to find the right Linux distribution, but don't want to spend time in installing it only to discover that it's not the right one, you can download the virtual machine and run it on VMplayer. The site is: www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45

Where the fun in that, :lol: hehe

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #21123 by durk21
try virtual pc 2007 from microsoft its free VMware you have to pay foor after 30 days

also i would like to point out that i tried runing ubuntu in virtual pc to no avail anyone know whats going on i gave it 128 and 150 mb of ram to play with as well but still got nothing.

Ubuntu loaded and installed in the VM but when i got plast the load bar something messed up with i guess the gnome and i couldnt see anything anyone else experience this problem?
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds