Skip to main content

Install Mac on PC

More
18 years 7 months ago #9918 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic hey lindows
Hey Lindows,

I was thinking about throwing a flavor of Linux on my iBook as well. But I was scolded by a few puter friend at school when I brought that up. :lol: You ever ask a question in a group and you get all the eyes on you with rage? :lol: They were telling me whats the point since its on a Unix backbone already.
I brought up the fact of the multiple desktops you can do with Linux.

But as far as you question, yes it is possible to install Linux on a powerbook. I think it would run very nicely. The only problem you will have is some distros of Linux won't work with the video cards the powerbooks have. If you decided to install Linux on your powerbook, let me know how it runs.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
18 years 7 months ago #9945 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic All eyes on me
hey Zip,

i know what your talking about. When i also brought up that question i could feel the heat on my neck from the words my friends used. I was just interested in tryin something knew or unpopular. I can just imagine see the faces of my friends when i boot my powerbook and a Linux distro appears. In your face Mr. Bluescreen!

--- The greatest ideas are created like dimonds from pressure--
--Lindows--
More
18 years 7 months ago #9953 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: Install Mac on PC
Hey Lindows,
You can also try the LiveCD version of ubuntu for powerpc. This way you can see if it suits your needs.
By the way, Chris, is it possible to have a Mac section to talk about all the things conserning the apple computers and Mac OS X? I have been using a mac the last 6 months and i'm really happy with it. So it would be nice to have a place to talk about it.
Cheers
More
18 years 7 months ago #9957 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic WiFi
Berzerker I am totally with you on making a Mac section. I have been wanting to ask about that for awhile, but wasn't sure how many mac users were on the forum.

Thanks for the info guys regarding the WiFi. So in setting up my laptop to be able to find WiFi channels so easily, what exactly do I need to do? I have a Netgear 802.11g WiFi card that can find my router at home easily and connect. But when looking for another channels around, it doesn't see them. While my mac finds about 6 or 7.

By the way, thats what I love about the mac side, they have all there hardware configured properly. I am not saying the PC does not, it just seems that mac has there priorities set even higher.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
18 years 7 months ago #9958 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Mac On!
It would be great to have a Mac Section. i would love to find info on how to network it to my pc's at home. Is it just me or is Mac finally getting the attention it deserves. Mr. Jobs i believe you created a monster. lol

:wink:

Lindows
More
18 years 7 months ago #9962 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: Install Mac on PC
Lindows, with Mac OS X 10.4 (aka Tiger) networking with either Windows or Linux is a piece of cake. After purchasing the powerbook i can quickly guide you to setting up your network.
Keep us informed. (Things have really gone better for Apple)
Cheers
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds