Skip to main content

extending a wired network wirelessly

More
19 years 5 months ago #5767 by jhun
thanks nske for the clarification. i was thinking of directly linking a wlan to a network without any firewall at wall since some wireless devices offer their own means of security like WEP and the like but as far as i know this is not enough.
More
19 years 5 months ago #5784 by sahirh
So while we're on the topic... I went wardriving today (strictly discovery only of course)... boy was it ever awesome fun !!

Detected about 6 nets within the first 20 minutes... Also got myself this:
www.mobileedge.com/products.asp?cid=7&scid=7

Which is really really great fun.. and so damn addictive.. everywhere I go I just have to check whether I can pick up 802.11 :)

Somebody stop me !

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 5 months ago #5792 by nske
cool gadget! :)
More
19 years 5 months ago #5800 by jhun
i'm gonna get me one of those... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
More
19 years 5 months ago #5811 by sahirh
Yep its very useful.
I'm going wardriving again tonight around a few business location. My goal is to get a better idea of the number of wi-fi installations in the city as well as how bad the lack of security.

So far the numbers are not good.. there are too many open installations.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 5 months ago #5826 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Wireless
It's astounding how many wireless networks there are out in Suburbia too - many of them wide open and with WEP disabled. I'm rolling out a remote support solution for technical staff at the moment, and they are taking home and setting up access points in their homes. I get reports every day of two or three other networks found within range and unprotected. One chap was unable to get his access point to work despite following my instructions, but he gleefully reported having spent the night downloading loads of stuff using somebody else's!
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds