Skip to main content

extending a wired network wirelessly

More
19 years 4 months ago #5833 by Cool_Spot
Just think of the money you could make, by wardriving around your town,picking up unprotected networks, then ringing the company up the next day offering technical support.

Local businesses would be snapping up your expertise in no time, all because they dont see the obvious problem, of setting things up as they come out of the box!

I'm surprised how even small establishments like dental practises& private doctors, with potentially extremely confidential data leave themselves so open for sniffing. They would pay big money for Joe I.T to fix things up!

Just an idea!

:wink:
More
19 years 4 months ago #5964 by gl0bal
How much evidence do you think you would need to gather to prove their network was insecure. And then would that put you at risk of legal action for intruding on their network/viewing confidential information.

I wonder if anyone has been put off alerting a company to their poor security because of this?
More
19 years 4 months ago #5967 by sahirh
Well technically wardriving is not illegal.. simply because you're just driving around looking for wireless networks, and thats perfectly legal. You can tell if the network is insecure if its using no encryption.. or maybe just WEP.. you can get that info just by wardriving.. if you actually associated with the AP or sniffed the traffic then you would probably not have the law on your side..

It depends where you live. One can easily use the argument that since its an 'open' network by definition, then its almost like its inviting anyone to associate with it.. sorta like the free wi-fi spots that you find.. in which case you were just checking it out to see whether you could get some free Internet access..

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6053 by carmatic
also before we go off topic too far, is there a way to directionally identify an access point?like some kind of passive radar or something... could throw fakeap right off the guard
ive always imagined something like this... after all, access points are essentially points in space relative to you, and such a device would help close the gap between the internet and real life a little further,like instead of just signal strength , you get a 'enter the matrix' style thing going on where the internet is tied inexorably with the real world.... or something
More
19 years 4 months ago #6060 by sahirh
You can ID an access point by the beacon frames it sends out.. otherwise those little detectors do a pretty decent job.

Netstumbler does exactly what you're talking about 'a passive radar'.. it sets the card to RFMON mode and looks for signals from AP's and ad-hoc clients across channels...

As for the second part of your post, hey.. share what you're smoking mate hehehe

Yknow when I first ran vmware I actually felt sad for the guest o/s... it never knew it was running in a 'virtual world'... then someone actually released code to detect whether you were in a virtual environment.. and they called it redpill ... like in the matrix.. it tells you if you are 'in the matrix' so to speak... lol.. I thought I was the only wierdo thinking like that..

Ok.. now that was incredibly geeky..

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 4 months ago #6064 by gl0bal
hmmmm run a continual ping and watch the numbers flow. After a while your vision blurs and you no longer see the digits, just the shape and size of the stream..... thats Marix PreLoaded
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds