Skip to main content

Wireless LAN

More
19 years 5 days ago #8180 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Wireless
If you have the kit you could always wait until you see them on, then go tracking...
More
18 years 11 months ago #8448 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Funny
Imagine the world 100% wireless. Man i just don't think a computer geek like me can handel being able to sniff and crack raw data everyday. HWere's the fun in that

"A computer greek once said, show a wired netowork i'll make you wise, show me a wireless network using WEP , i'll make you rich"
-Lindows 2003[/b]
More
18 years 11 months ago #8450 by a_b_c_852
Hey people, any ideas about 802.11b and 802.11g AP's working together? I have read that they disrupt each other...is this true??

Any replies are good!

Thanks ;)
More
18 years 11 months ago #8455 by The_Berzerker
Replied by The_Berzerker on topic Re: Wireless LAN
The disruption will exist if you are using the same channel on two different access points. If you configure your access points to work at different channels then you won't have a problem
More
18 years 11 months ago #8494 by a_b_c_852
Replied by a_b_c_852 on topic Wireless
So if i configure one AP (54 Mbps) on Ch1 and another AP (11 Mbps) on Ch6, that should work fine?

One other question...

If there is one Access Point (54 Mbps) with 2 users connected.

User 1: 100% strength, so giving full 54 Mbps. (well, about half because they are sharing with another user)

User 2: 50% strength, so giving say...20 Mbps. (guessing)

Will this cut down the first users bandwidth? (More than if both users had 100% signal strength?)

More
18 years 11 months ago #8496 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Wireless LAN
1) Yes channels 1 and 6 would be good choises, transmissions at each channel will not interfere with each other. You should just avoid using channels too approximate to each other, any distance larger than 22 mhz is perfect. Channels 1 and 6 have a distance of 25mhz (each channel has a distance of 5mhz from an other). Still, you should try other channel pairs as well in case there is something else causing noise.

2) Actually unless you do some traffic shaping, because of the nature of wireless connections, the node with the strongest signal gains very significant priority -even absolute in case of large difference- over the others. So in your example, you shouldn't be surprised if you found User 1 utilizing 90+ % of the bandwidth, leaving just some left-overs for User 2!
If both users had the same signal strength, under the same other circumstances, the bandwidth would be shared evenly.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds