Skip to main content

Wireless LAN

More
20 years 7 months ago #556 by slidedown
Wireless LAN was created by slidedown
Hi,

Anyone have any Ideas on protecting a Wireless LAN. It seems that my Wireless are open for unknown user that eating up my bandwitdh.

Thanks.

-Nothing goes by luck in composition. It allows of no tricks. The best you can write will be the best you are-
More
20 years 7 months ago #557 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Wireless LAN
Sidedown,

I haven't got much experience with wireless networks as yet, but funny enough, prentice hall sent me a book for reviewing called "How Secure is your wireless network?"

As I've only roughtly run through it, I wouldn't be able to give you much details, but it looks very interesting, so if your considering learning from the experience, I'd suggest you to look into it. The book should be available now.

If I come across any good websites, I'll surely let you know.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 7 months ago #558 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Wireless LAN
There are some basic steps you can do to protect your wireless lan from most people.

1) Don't broadcast your SSID

2) Enable WEP preferably 128bit or more with a hard to guess key that changes every week or two.

Those two things alone will be enough to stop all but the most determined who can and will crack your WEP once enough raw data is obtained.

If you want to go to further extremes you could implement 802.1x and run a radius server or something but honestly if it's home a network the previous methods will be fine.

Ben

sh int brain, brain is down
More
20 years 7 months ago #559 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Wireless LAN
You also might consider filtering the wireless NICs you are allowing to use your WAP. WEP is good, but breakable, and this is just another protection that is relatively easy to set up and hurt anything.

Tom.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 7 months ago #560 by slidedown
Replied by slidedown on topic Wireless LAN
Thanks so much guys, I'll see what I can do.. Its still happening even while Im writing this message..

*Im looking out my window, for unknown vehicle,Cant trust anyone here anymore*

-Nothing goes by luck in composition. It allows of no tricks. The best you can write will be the best you are-
More
18 years 11 months ago #8177 by Ranger24
Replied by Ranger24 on topic WLAN protection
If you have previously been broadcasting your SSID before hiding it then change it now, reboot the WLAN system.

Once SSID is know it will not help just to hid it. Hid it, change it, then check it is hidden.

Hope this helps

Pete

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds