Skip to main content

Intermittent Wireless Connection

More
15 years 8 months ago #26856 by TheBishop
This kind of thing can be caused by another nearby wireless network using or overlapping onto your channel. Your signal strength will show as very good but yout throughput will be terrible. The clues for this are that it happens at seemingly random times but not all the time and that some users on your wireless network get hit more than others (they are closer to the interference source). To prove it, wait till the problem is happening then swithch off your wireless access point(s) and get your pc to search for networks. If you find another one using your channel, there you are.
More
15 years 8 months ago #26857 by S0lo

This kind of thing can be caused by another nearby wireless network using or overlapping onto your channel. Your signal strength will show as very good but yout throughput will be terrible. The clues for this are that it happens at seemingly random times but not all the time and that some users on your wireless network get hit more than others (they are closer to the interference source). To prove it, wait till the problem is happening then swithch off your wireless access point(s) and get your pc to search for networks. If you find another one using your channel, there you are.

In TheBishop's case this tool might help: www.metageek.net/products/inssider

It will show you all other APs around along with the channel numbers used.

By the way, If this situation is temporary (since you said hotel), you could share your friends connection via a UTP cable. It's an easy setup. Tell if you want the details.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 8 months ago #26874 by derk
hey, i think i found what caused the problem...

though i haven't tried moving near the AP, i still have a good finding about the issue.

my laptop was designed for vista and im using it for XP pro and x64 XP...there was no free OS when i bought it and I installed the two XP OS's..and my default is XP Pro..

the problem arised during my XP Pro session...I have reinstalled the driver for the wireless card, scrutinized my XP pro settings but still the ping loss is more than 20%...

so, i decided to try it on my x64 XP and I found out that ping reply is 0% loss out of 300 packets sent...i've tried comparing it for 3 times and the result is the same.

i installed the online game client on x64 XP and my game wasn't disconnected anymore..i think it's the laptop design and OS incompatibilities that caused the problem...x64 XP is as good as Vista since it's 64-bit...or does anybody here got a better explaination??

thanks and enlighten me...
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds