Skip to main content

Intermittent Wireless Connection

More
15 years 9 months ago #26835 by derk
Good day everybody!!

I have a problem with my laptop, I used a wireless connection in some hotel lobby and I got an intermittent connection while my colleagues
have a stable connection using their laptops.

I've tried to re-connect several times but after a few minutes it'll get disconnected.

Could it be some XP settings that I'm missing here.

Please enlighten me gurus.
More
15 years 9 months ago #26838 by jester
there are lot of reasons for an intermittent wireless connection
based on the signal strength of the wireless connection and also because of some EMI sources like
electrical transformers,cordless phones,micro wave owen,metal cabinets ,plasma televisions etc check for these sources
*usb,bluetooth and ir devices accessing ur laptop
*even ur mobile phone can cause it
check these are primary causes
More
15 years 9 months ago #26840 by S0lo
Can I ask what is the signal strength that shows to you?

Changing your location, trying to be closer to the access point should increase the signal strength. Even if your friend gets a good connection strength that doesn't mean necessarily that you'll get the same strength at the same location, because the transmission power of your laptops can differ. Some times it's not the access point that can't reach your laptop, it's the laptop that can't reach the access point.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 9 months ago #26842 by derk
I have a "Very Good" Signal Strength and there's no EMI producing device near my laptop.

I have a very good (no intermittent signal) in our office 8 hours straight everyday and just now I'm having this problem.

No problem with my web surfing, but whenever I log into an online game I got disconnected minutes after connection.

I compared our Ping Replies with my colleagues as we're on the same table (1m x 1m table) and found out one simultaneous ping session that they have a 5% packet loss while I have 52% packet loss.

I have already re-installed the device driver for my Atheros AR5007EG Wireless adapter but the problem still persist.

Please HELP....
More
15 years 9 months ago #26847 by S0lo

I compared our Ping Replies with my colleagues as we're on the same table (1m x 1m table) and found out one simultaneous ping session that they have a 5% packet loss while I have 52% packet loss.

Try pinging your friends IP (make sure his firewall is turned OFF), then try pinging the gateway IP. If packet loss for pinging friend is low like 0% to 5% and packet loss for gateway is still high. Then this probably confirms that your laptop can not reach the AP very well although the AP can reach it. I'd ask the Administrators about the location of the AP and try to move closer to it.

However, if both pings have a high packet loss, Then I've got absolutely no clue!! :?

Note: "ipconfig /all" will show IPs and gateways.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 9 months ago #26851 by jester
if even after moving towards AP still if ur facing the same intermittent connection,try using the connection with out any anti virus and firewall
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds