Skip to main content

Roaming

More
16 years 11 months ago #21446 by facer
Roaming was created by facer
I am currently using windows zero config to manage the wireless connections on all the laptops in the School i work in. Problem is that this does not support roaming, so as all our access points overlap I end up with laptops connected to a access point with very very low signal when they are stood next to another access point that isn't higher up on the prefered networks list.
I have been training the staff up no how to cobat this, but with the variying technical ability it doesn't always work.
Does anyone know of any other free wireless config software that is availble that support roaming?

We have very basic Belkin access points that don't seem to have any roaming options in the setup.

Thanks
More
16 years 11 months ago #21768 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Roaming
I think the roaming problem may be with the access points and not the Windows Zero Config utility. I read this:

The purpose of WZCS is to allow wireless roaming that gives mobile devices
like a laptop the ability to connect to other wireless networks as one
wonders around aimlessly, because WZCS tries to seeks out the networks and
connect to them dropping the connection to the current network being used.
If the computer will never be used in a roaming situation, then why use it?

Look at this link too: www.winplanet.com/article/3115-4448.htm

The problem may be with the access points and not the WZC. If so, you may be out of luck on the roaming. Maybe someone else can clear this up. I will ask a wireless networking friend on mine and get back to you.
More
16 years 11 months ago #21769 by skepticals
A few questions:

1) Are these APs or routers? What is the model number? Do the APs support repeater mode?

2) Do all your APs have the same SSID?

3) Have you tried to OEM driver of the wireless card?

4) How many APs?
More
16 years 11 months ago #21771 by skepticals
For a roaming network, both access points must use the identical SSID
and wireless security and keys. Both access point should operate on
non-overlapping channels 1, 6, or 11. (It may help to check for other
WLANs in your neighborhood to see which channels they use. Avoid those channels if possible...) Only a few wireless clients have problems with roaming between access points with different channels. Only in that case you would have to use the same channel on both access points. Remember however, that they will interfere with their transmissions and thus heavy wireless traffic on both access points at a time may cause serious problems.
More
16 years 11 months ago #21772 by facer
Replied by facer on topic Re: Roaming
We have 17 access points on our site.
They all have different SSID's, i was under the impression that this was the unique identifyer for the access point. Do they all need to be the same??
I will test this in the morning.
More
16 years 11 months ago #21778 by skepticals
Yes, all the APs should have the same SSID. They should be on different channels though: 1, 6, and 11 with little to no overlapping.

Test it and let me know.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds