Skip to main content

Wireless Grief

More
18 years 4 months ago #12180 by Cooler_santy
Replied by Cooler_santy on topic Re: Wireless Grief
Hi,
I have worked with technical support on wireless products..and have come across such cases before.This could be because of firewall-antivirus installed on the computer.Your best try would be to uninstall any anti-virus-firewall programs, try getting an IP address.Check on the windows firewall as well cos its enabled by default.
regards
santy
More
18 years 4 months ago #12182 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic firewall issues
i have taken off both firewalls off, and it still doesn't work. i have made wireless work on many desktops and laptops with both firewalls up and running, along with the router internal firewall running as well. but it never crop up with any problems. what i intend to do next is using another third party usb wireless receiver and see what happens

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 4 months ago #12185 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic more info
my laptop connects to the speedtouch router easily even when both win xp firewall and the norton internet security is kept on. nothing blocks it from going online. but now i have tried with one more usb receiver, and it has the same problem. so i tried my old 121g thomson usb stick on my desktop and also the new usb wireless stick as well. guess what...nothing happens even then, the desktop is not able to grab the ip address. so its not the firewall or antivirus, there is something more fundamental about this

More
18 years 4 months ago #12187 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic more info
i tested both the usb sticks to create a adhoc network between the desktop and the laptop. it failed

More
18 years 4 months ago #12198 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Wireless
I'm mystified!
More
18 years 3 months ago #12239 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic i am stupified
so was I, then i went ahead and started all sorts of things, i got some usb sticks from netgear, they could see the speedtouch but could not connect to it. i then used a different wireless router, a netgear DG834GT which worked perfectly with any usb dongle. i used my wifi inbuilt on my laptop to connect to the new netgear, and that happened instantly. so what i have deduced is that:

the speedtouch 570 wireless adsl router can only see the 120g usb receiver, with an exception of my inbuilt broadcom laptop wifi card. its the router's whim that it does not see any other dongle. i had eved logged into the router to change the firewall setting towards outgoing interfaces. i literally flushed it. but still there was no joy.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds