Skip to main content

Wireless Grief

More
18 years 4 months ago #12406 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic whatever
i have already done all that in the very beginning. all that information you had to gather from the internet was already furnished in my earlier post.
the two usb sticks did not work at all. the speedtouch router works neatly with any other usb stick, even with netgear usb wireless receivers. its the usb stick which had the problem. they would not communicate. i dont have the time or the patient now to find out why they were not doing so, as i would assume them to be faulty now.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 4 months ago #12475 by UHSsncmrm
Replied by UHSsncmrm on topic Re: Wireless Grief
Do you have a MAC ACL on the wiireless router? or the wrong AP name in the config?

You may be arping the ip address under a different MAC and then adding the stick just confuses the arp until it ages off the table. If you can CLI the command sh arp see if it is incomplete or using the MAC address of your wired nic instead of the card. If that is the case power it all down, install the wireless stick to the point of completion where it tries to connect, then power it all up???

Just a thought :(

A scapegoat is often as welcome as a solution...never memorize what you can look up.
More
17 years 10 months ago #15376 by Ranger24
Replied by Ranger24 on topic My Thoughts - Packet Trace
Hi Arani,

My approach would be different. If the usb dongles allow promiscious mode I'd use ethereal to capture the DHCP packets to see what is happening.

This will confirm if the DHCP messages are being sent correctly and responded to. You should see the following message sequence:

1) DHCP DISCOVER from your laptop
2) DHCP OFFER from your speedtouch
3) DHCP REQUEST from your Laptop
4) DHCP ACKnowledge from speed touch

If you don't see 1) then check the laptop wireless connection. However I suspect that this very unlikely

If you don't see 2) - fault is with the router.

If 3) isn't seen - bug in the drivers on the laptop would be my guess - but as the wireless connection owrked with netgear unlikely

If 4) not seen then the speedtouch has issues...contact thomson and complain!

I hope this is of help.

R

Patience - the last reserve of the any engineer
More
17 years 10 months ago #15382 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic wireless issues
hi ranger
thanks for the response, but this is a long forgotten issue. the speedtouch dongle did not work anywhere. but mysteriously it works with a linksys wireless router which is there in my office!!!
and as far as the speedtouch wireless router is concerned, my laptop's broadcom wireless card which is inbuilt talks to it perfectly, and has never given me any grief.
thanks again but i found i had less time for this level of trouble shooting. i am happy with my laptop's inbuilt wireless card. and as far as the speedtouch usb wireless dongle is concerned, i am happily using it with my office laptop (which does not have wireless capabilty) to woth with the linksys wireless router.

More
17 years 6 months ago #17721 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Wireless Grief
How did u install your USB stick driver. Are u sure your installation process is alright ?

Sose
More
17 years 6 months ago #17724 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Re: Wireless Grief
i installed the usb driver like i install all other usb drivers. barring this one, all other usb devices i have installed on any pc has worked. so i am pretty sure the installation process is ok. the same two devices, i.e. the router and the wireless card works with everything else but not with one another. so this proves that it's not an issue regarding installation.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds