Skip to main content

USB Death!!

More
19 years 6 months ago #5030 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: USB Death!!
yes norton ghost works pretty well. either use the norton software or use the norton ghost program contained in a diskette so that you could ghost directly booting from a command prompt. well either way you get a user friendly interface that provides you with the option of whether to ghost the whole harddsik or just the partitions of it. by the way, using ghost to replicate the contents of a harddisk, the slave should have the same specs as that of the master pc or else you may encounter many problems..also the size/capacity of the slave HDD should also match that of the master but there are times that slave would exceed the size of the master but it should not be less than the master HDD itself.
More
19 years 6 months ago #5074 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic so
so Im still a sitting duck with thsi problem. All my USB are dead and not working. But the BIG concern here is why is my computer stuck at the mobo type splash screen during boot up? I don't understand how out of nowhere one day it just freezes at that screen after all the UBS die.

Any ideas from what I should do from here? I have some important data on this puter that I still need. I did a recent backup about a week ago, but I still need some other files that I did not back up since last week.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Thanks guys

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
19 years 6 months ago #5077 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic arose in my mind
I was sitting on the floor next to my computer while it was locked up at that splash screen, occasionally cussing at it. (Didn't help any by the way...figures :? ) But I remembered after I installed my dual DVI video card, a couple days later I was getting physical memory dumps. These would occur after reboots when I got the blue screen (BSOD) stating an error has occured.
So I am narrowing down that the puter didn't really like the dual DVI video card and the dual monitor setup.

Im thinking to set the hard drive as a slave in another computer now and getting the data I need and rebuilding the computer. Unless you guys have a better idea to fix this prob. Thanks guys.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
19 years 6 months ago #5080 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic USB
You might be right there Zippy, sometimes a rebuild is the only course left. If I was in your position I think I'd do what you suggest and stick the drive into another machine to recover the data. Then I'd strip the problem machine down to just the essentials - basic video card, hard drive, floppy drive, keyboard and mouse - take everything else out of it. Then reset the config data in the BIOS and have a try. Perhaps your previous crashes corrupted the NVRAM somehow. If you don't get anywhere with that, you could try some hardware diagnostic software to see if the USB really is broken or not. Also, if you can't get the USB working but you really like that motherboard, then just disable the onboard USB and go buy a USB card and stick it into an expansion slot. I know that means spending money but it's better than letting the <place suitable expletive here> thing defeat you!!
More
19 years 6 months ago #5097 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic OK
Alright, well I pulled out my hard-drive and set it as slave on another computer. I got the files that I needed.
But I decided to go ahead and try this one ore time, but this time I would just boot with one monitor plugged. I got past that mobo splash screen I wasn't able to pass and I got to the physical memory dump screen.

I get the following BLUE SCREEN ERROR:

***STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007,0x00000B8A,0xE146CA20,0xE146CA28)
BAD_POOL_CALLER
Beginning dump of physical memory

There is so much stuff online about memory dumping. What exactly is causing this? I would think its a bad driver from the video card . But I did unistall the driver and I am still getting this memory dump. And I believe I turned off memory dumps in my settings.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
19 years 6 months ago #5098 by FallenZer0
Replied by FallenZer0 on topic Re: USB Death!!

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds