Skip to main content

USB Death!!

More
19 years 7 months ago #5139 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: USB Death!!
In response to Zippy's question, I've uploaded a document which pretty much contains web link Fallenzero suggested, in word format.

This document has been with me for over 3 years and has helped me resolve situations such as Zippy's.

You can grab a copy from here :

www.firewall.cx/download-s06-dpm.php

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 7 months ago #5141 by Tarun
Replied by Tarun on topic Re: USB Death!!
Hey i am really hesitant to put up this suggestion because u guys are much more brainy than i am but i feel i had the exactly same issue some time ago ...

I had started to have those BOD's and then one fine day my computer would just not go ahead of that splash screen of the mother board and i also noticed that there was no POST sound as it normally makes when it boots up.

What i did was i just took off the battery on the motherboard rubbed it on my palm a little bit. Started the computer without that battery once. Then put the battery back into its place. This might be a solution but if even that not works. May be resetting the jumpers on your motherboard may work. How exactly that is done i am not really sure because ... i was not the person who did that ... it was on a similar issue that my computer guy did for me using a screw driver on my computer.

So, that might be one way ...

Or, may be ... u can just boot using a startup CD for the version of windows that u have. And then just go ahead and reinstall the windows on your computer just let it overwrite the last version. This was it would over write the display drivers for your video card and come up with the default windows and also all your data and programs would be safe !!!

Once again i am not really sure that it might work but i juat wanted to share some ideas :)

Regards,

Next would be SP (Service Provider)
CCNA, CCNP (Switching), CCIE#20640
More
19 years 7 months ago #5142 by Tarun
Oops !!! i did the mistake of not checking the 2nd page. Wish i had posted that earlier .... sorry,

Will take care next time

Regards,

More
19 years 7 months ago #5143 by Tarun
Hey that article is awesome ... just skimmed through that ... good resource to have handy when problems knocks at your door :)

Thanks buddy,

Regards,

More
19 years 7 months ago #5153 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic o ya
That article is awesome, going to be so helpful down the line when other BSODs decide to stop in and visit me.

Now the resolution of my problem I am still pondering and trying to figure out how it worked. :lol: Not that I am complaing since about 75% of the problem has been fixed.

I decided to remove the hard drive and make it a slave on another computer. I didn't want the puter to beat me, so I said let me try it one more time. Unfortunatly time was of the essence and I had to go to work for the grave shift. The following day I popped that hard drive back in the "sick" computer if you will and booted her up. Now Im not sure whether my computer needed a nap or a good night sleep...but wonders be it, she booted right past the mobo splash screen and to the windows login. I logged in on the system and I was good to go. Now I rebooted once more after that and before I hit the login screen I got the BSOD.
Thanks to FallenZer0 who directed me to the microsoft site explaining what the error:BAD_POOL_CALLER meant. What it comes down to is a driver conflict. FallenZer0 had much better luck then I did when searching the microsoft site and found that error definition. (Why is it that I can't find things on the Microsoft site...I typed in that error and I was recieving info about IE6 problems :evil: DRIVES ME NUTS!!! but I guess I just have to look harder.

I went ahead and changed some settings in System Properties under "Write Debugging Information" and turned the memory dump to none for now.
I have rebooted now about 2 or 3 times and did not recieve the BSOD since I changed that setting. But knowing that there is a driver conflict occuring behind the scenes now really bothers me. So I need to nit and pick at the system and find out where the conflict is. This will put my mind at ease and know that nothing "bad" is happening behind the scenes.

What I think might be the driver conflict are:
1. Logitech Wireless Keyboard and the cabled Logitech MX510 mouse.(I didn't like the wireless mouse so I went out and got the Logitech MX510 cabled mouse which is much more responsive being that it has an awesome 800-dpi sensor that captures 5.8 megapixels per second. This for one thing is an excellent gaming mouse, and also very comfortable. (Not to mention its 2 slick looking color schemes; red and blue.) 8) I think there might be a driver conflict here.

2. I installed an external CD/CD-RW/DVD rom drive via USB 2.0 and I also have a internal CD-ROM drive. I doubt the conflict is here, but I am just going through the list of things that could POSSIBLY conflict.

3. Dual monitor setup with a Samsung 191T and Samsung 191T+. Possible driver conflict of the two monitors.

HOLY MOLY!! :shock: This post got really long...I kinda feel like Chris and Sahirh. Man how do they do this all the time, and about really really important stuff. You guys simply amaze me :D
Thanks guys to listening to me ramble.

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds