Skip to main content

upgrading from Celeron to Core 2 processor

More
16 years 5 months ago #23750 by saidfrh
I have a mother board with a Celeron (R) CPU 2.26GHz processor. Is it possible to upgrade the processor on my mother board with the following?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775

Thanks.
More
16 years 5 months ago #23759 by skepticals
What type of socket does the motherboard have?
More
16 years 5 months ago #23763 by DaLight
The processors in question have different form factors i.e FC-PGA478 vs LGA775, so the answer is no.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24381 by durk21
I would not go with an INTEL core duo INTEL IS MUCH MUCH slower than an AMD dual Core. I would go with AMD do you're research first. HP did a study on intel products since they are partnered with them and foudn that
INTEL DUAL core/core duo's were much slower than there AMD competitors. IT has to do with the way in which the actual processor was layered.

The article is out there and availible to the public I recommend you google it and read the whole thing first. ALso check consumer reports and compare AMD to Intel first.

I personally am not an AMD guy but on this one I would have to say go with AMD.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24382 by durk21
Also most solo core Mobo's do not support dual core cappabilities. SO if you are really looking to rock it and have the money for the dual core I would spend the extra cash for the AMD dual core and a new mobo to support then Rock that. I think you will be much happier spenidng having spent just a little extra money and it will go a long way. Just make sure the memmory matches and that you wont have to upgrade that as well.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24383 by durk21
wow anotehr post. Forgot to mention check on the mobo itself for the mobo serial number. Then go to their website and get their chipset, and socket capabilities for you're model.

Hope its not an ASUS
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds