Skip to main content

Question about my new motherboard and old hdd working

More
16 years 4 months ago #24370 by ZiPPy
The PATA drive should work without any problems. If that drive doesn't work on your new system, that must be one heck of an hold drive. But you mentioned its a 300gig so it can't be that old.

As far as the cabling and what not, you will have some trouble finding motherboards with a Socket 775 using something below the ATA-100 standard.

Also, if I may add if your upgrading your system or simply wanting to get another processor and mobo I would highly recommend investing in a updated hard drive. You can still run your PATA drive, but simply run that as your slave for data or backup. Remember, your system is only as fast as the slowest component, and that would be your hard drive.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 1 week ago #25719 by NeoTech
hey there, a little late into the party and i'm going to assume you already have that pc now lol. but as your old drive is 300 gig its most likely an ata-133 drive.
P-ata (Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment 8)) drives will be compatible but won't run to their full speed on the older ata-100 interface.

Sorry i was late lol.

Neo
Tech
More
16 years 1 week ago #25720 by NeoTech
ok, proved wrong. unless its a dodgey listing on that website, i notice it does list the drive as both 200Gb and 300 Gb capacity.

... ive never heard of a 300Gb ATA-100 drive before. i thought the standard went to ATA-133 way before they hit that capacity.

Neo
Tech
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds