Skip to main content

Question about my new motherboard and old hdd working

More
16 years 7 months ago #23221 by durk21
nnbnbI am thinking about buying a new pc but using my old HDD to power it. I am buying a bare-bones kit from tigerdirect.com. The motherboard has a ATA-100 IDE port on it. and my old HDD is a pata drive so I am wondering if I plug it in will it work? I also have a DDO on it so that win XP can boot from the HDD.

here is a link to the mother board I am buying in the kit that comes with everything.

www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchT...01&sku=P450-9106

Hopefully you can help me out the HDD I am using is a PATA drive 300 GB made by Maxtor and uses a DDO to boot WIN XP. Post questions if you have any I'll tr to answer them as best I can.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23222 by durk21
More
16 years 7 months ago #23239 by skepticals
I think your hard drive should be fine. P-ATA is just another way of saying IDE I believe.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23244 by durk21
no there are all different versions of IDE supported hdd's and every IDE has different bus speeds and can support different hdd's so thats why i asked I wasn't sure but it looks as though it will work. unless anyone can tell me different.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23256 by skepticals
Well, I wouldn't listen to me then..haha. I have never checked a speed or anything else regarding IDE drives. I have never had one that didn't work.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24360 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic just so you know
you do need to check the IDE cabling will work. My HDD did require an IDE port on the Mobo that was ata-100 or better. SO i bought an EGI mobo and it worked phenomenal.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds