Skip to main content

pc keeps restarting itself

More
20 years 3 months ago #2296 by Chris
This reply might be a bit off topic, but I'm sure it's well worth noting. I must admit though, it's Sahir's fault cause his last post brought it to my mind!

When replacing a motherboard in a Windows 2000 workstation or Server, if the new motherboard uses a different chipset, you will surely get the Blue Screen Of Death when you try to boot up your computer.

The sad part is that there is NO WAY you can boot your pc... even in safe mode, it will fail. I was faced with this problem back in Australia, where a few Internet Banking servers had their motherboards replaced, and had to come back to the office due to the nature of the above problem.

If you're a Systems Administrator, then you can imagine the chaos and panic you will need to deal with when you discover your new motherboard on the main fileserver will not allow the server to boot up!

Don't dispare, there is a solution and it's right here!

My research discovered that you require to simply copy a few files into the system32 dir and import a few lines of code into your windows registry in order to overcome the problem. The catch is that you MUST do this before the motherboard dies on you, and not after :wink:

So, here's the link : www.firewall.cx/download-s03-win2k.php Look for the IDE Chipset Compatibility section and grab the file, it's only 50kb in size!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 3 months ago #2305 by sahirh
Very useful info.. considering XP is built on the 2k kernel dyou think it might follow that XP would have a similar issue ? Anyone game to test the issue ;) ?

I had another problem with XP, at the time of setup, my machine detected as an ACPI (Advanced Configuration Power somethign) system which is a good thing (allows it to auto shut off etc). Then I manually changed the driver to standard PC, because it was claimed that it could conflict with a Voodoo 3 and lower graphics performance (games rule eh).. anyway now when I wanted to change it back, there just didn't seem to be a way ! It wouldn't allow me at all.. and I started getting really annoyed because whenever I shutdown, I would have to wait till I saw 'It is now safe to turn off your computer' and then manually turn it off, as opposed to having it turn itself off. I also lost hibernate and suspend -- which I use very often.

Anyway I ultimately had to reinstall (because of some other issues as well) and now its ju'fiiiine...

Basically I think Windows cries if you change any core components.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 3 months ago #2373 by chandak76
Replied by chandak76 on topic Couldn't make it work
Hi,I've tried all the suggestions and still can't make it work,The fans and everything seems to be ok.I've even tried to replace the hard drive,scan for viruses but no luck.Anyways thanks for the effort.
Chandak76
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds